++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 02-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
I lost a dear friend.

I lost a dear friend this past summer, and I would like to be able to share something that happened to me during this very diffucult time in my life. It relates to Creed.

One morning as I was sitting talking with my son, after I had awakened him, I heard a musical note lingering in the air. It was from an acoustic guitar. Just one note holding for several beats.
I turned to my son, and asked him if he had heard it, as it was very clear, and quite beautiful. He had not. There wasn't an easy explaination for it. There was a guitar sitting in the corner, but we were not near it at the time, and the sound did not seem to come from that direction. He asked me what it could be, and I told him "It would not be what, but whom". I could not think what meaning this could have, I so I put it into the back of my mind. Later that morning, I called my good friend to thank her for a card that she had sent to me, and I found out that she had been taken to the hospital. I was able to get to the hospital to see her, but she was in a drug induced coma. I stayed as long as I could in the ICU, but not being a family member, it was a very short time. She was scheduled for surgery the next day, and the family promised to let me know how she came thru. The next day passed, and I had not heard from them. The morning of the third day, I was again sitting in my son's room, again I heard the lingering guitar note. Again my son heard nothing. Later that morning I called my friend's family and I was told my friend had passed away the day before, and they had been unable to reach me. I was devastated.

In my grief I decided to play the music that I have grown to love. I played my Weathered CD. I had the music turned up, so I could concentrate on the words in the songs, and not my pain. The CD played, and it got to the last note of the last song, #11 Lullaby.
The lingering note that I had been hearing was the last note of the lullaby. I laughed and cried at the same time, and it was as though I had been given a gift. I was able to handle my grief for the loss of my friend much better after that. I even purchased a copy of the CD and gave it to my friend's son the day of her memorial service, and told him what had happened.

The day of her service, I came home and was sitting in the kitchen quietly thinking about her. I got up to get a glass of water, and thru the window I saw a whole flock of white egrets. I went outside, and you could see them flying in from every direction, joining the flock. They would lift off as a group, circling, and land in the same spot, time after time. One landed in the tree above me and I knew that this was meant as a special moment for me, to help me with my pain.

Where I live in Minnesota, you see one egret here, one egret there. I have never before seen such a beautiful sight. People might say it is egoistical for me to think this, but back in 1998 I had written a poem about myself as a young girl, referring to a song that I had danced to. The song was White Bird. The birds held great meaning for me, because in the poem, I am the white bird

There was no other name I could call myself when I entered this chat group.

Thank you.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Wow, Whitebird, what a beautiful story. I'm so sorry for your loss. Music has such a healing power, though. I couldn't get by without it.
Welcome to the BB. I hope you like it here. It's a fun place.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
Thank you Dogstar for your reply, it means so much to me. There are very few that I could tell this story.

Your quote is beautiful. Who wrote this?

I stumble thru the shifting grains of time

they part beneath my feet

stumbling, falling, reduced to crawling

stability an illusion

Whitebird
Old 02-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Weathered
USER INFO »
im sorry a/b your loss......i myself have gone through a few losses of friends......only one of them hit me hard.....my friend who died in july 2000 at age 12 ....he had a heart attack due to heart problems he had all his life...that was the worst week of my life...music helped me get over it though....back then i wasnt a creed fan really...i knew of them and like the songs i heard on the radio but never heard their cds.....anyway....the other friends who died in the past few years was a teacher at my school....it didnt hit me really b/c she wasnt my teacher....but everyone who had her loved her...another one was the dad of my friend who died in july 2000....he also had heart problems most/all of his life not sure....and then in the last person i knwo who died....was in october of 2002...he had a brain tumor for the past few years.....he moved from here (pennsylvania) to atlanta georgia for better medical treatment but he eventually passed away...it didnt really hit me hard b/c i knew it was coming and i didnt know him that well...just talked to him every once in a while....

but yeah i couldnt live without music .....helps us get through a lot of situations
Old 02-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
JenRN
USER INFO »
Whitebird..... What a touching story! I am so sorry for your loss. It is amazing how music can have such a healing power to it. That is something so special, thanks for sharing it!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 02-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: [b]Originally posted by whitebird
Thank you Dogstar for your reply, it means so much to me.  There are very few that I could tell this story.

Your quote is beautiful.  Who wrote this?

You're welcome, whitebird ...The quote is from a song called Siddhartha by Jerry Cantrell. It's on his new album, Degradation Trip. I'm a major Alice In Chains/Jerry Cantrell freak .
Old 02-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Whitebird, thank you so much for sharing your story. Very sorry for your loss but I'm glad the music was able to help you through it all.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
Thank you Weathered for your reply. I'm sorry for the losses that you have had in your life too. It has always been my belief that no matter how long someone has been in our lives, they touch a part of our soul, and linger there forever. It sounds as though each of the people that you mentioned has played a large role in your spiritual growth. Take care, and I hope to meet you on the forum again soon.

Hello to you JenRN.
Thank you for replying to my post. My love for music has gotten me thru some difficult times, and given me great pleasure. I hope to chat with you again also.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 AM   #9
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »
yeah music has helped me through some rough times the past year.
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell
Old 02-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #10
souldancer
USER INFO »
Dear Whitebird, Thank you for sharing that beautiful, touching experience. Welcome to the CreedFeed community! My husband passed away 13 months ago and Creed has been a major part of my healing process. Take good care and continue to share here -with your Creed community.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
As I was posting a reply to JenRN & Weathered last night, I suddenly realized everything in the house was too quiet, and I knew something was wrong, I ran thru the house searching, and then I found it. There it was sitting in the tub, eating the bar of soap, my puppy. I love it when life tells me I'm too serious, and it makes me laugh.

Thank you so much for replying to my story, I'm glad that I could share it with you. Just know, that I'm not always serious, as I was reminded last night.

Hi Souldancer and Dangerous Dan.

I have been reading some of your other posts, and they feed my spirit, and make me smile. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:09 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Whitebird, that's so cute about your puppy! This is a really great BB. It's the best one I've seen. Glad you found it.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #13
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
Hi Dogstar

Just saw your reply. I had never posted on another BB before. I had checked out a few, but I admit I was shocked by some of the posts on the other sights. I'm really enjoying this one. The quotes that many of you post are beautiful, and often relate to the spirituality that I feel in my heart. If I can laugh along with you too, it's just an added bonus.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:36 PM   #14
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Whitebird, I know what you mean about the other BBs. Full of bad stuff and filty talk. That is why I never even got into message boards before because most of it was inane. This one I happened to stumble upon and was amazed at how clean it was and how intelligent some of the posts were. I haven't left since .
Old 02-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #15
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
sorry for your loss, whitebird. but thanks for sharing what happened.

call me weird, but the only music that touches me are the Creed ones. I like other stuff, but there´s nothing like Creed.