++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
altered
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Steve Perry-Chris Cornell-Myles Kennedy

I guess comparisons are natural, but they always seem negative. Myles sounds just like Chris, he sounds just like Steve... So does Chris sound just like Steve??? You happen to be talking about two legendary singers and making it sound like they suck.There are lots of different influences you can hear in Myles voice, and when you put them together you get MYLES. The same goes with Mark, you can hear several influences in his playing, and combined you get MARK. I think together these guys are bringing back some serious music! Somewhere along the line, singing and guitar playing got lost in todays music and these guys are bringing it back.Pure singing, heavy rythym section and kick ass guitar!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I wouldn't say it's negative comparison, but I have to say that I don't like Steve Perry's voice. I hated Journey's music as well. Now Chris Cornell, that's another story. I love him and Soundgarden and Audioslave. I hear Jeff Buckley in Myles as well. I think Myles has a wonderful voice and those comparisons come up because his range is similar to those others who have been mentioned.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
altered
USER INFO »
Your right about Jeff Buckley, and he as well as Steve and Chris were big influences on Myles. I do think the way people are comparing is in a negative way though.The same way they compared Scott to Eddie Vedder, they were not doing it in a positive way.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Well, maybe some people are, but I'm not .
Old 08-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
i haven't seen too much negative talk about his voice outside the creed community to be honest. its universal (almost) that this band is an "upgrade" at the very least. i can hear cornell, buckley and guys like wonder but it makes for a great mix. you voice is your voice after all.......
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
Kimvan
USER INFO »
Personally, I don't see any similarities comparing Myles to Steve Perry at all. Chris Cornell, maybe a little bit. Just my opinion....

Just give love to all....

Peace, and God Bless
Old 08-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Kimvan) Personally, I don't see any similarities comparing Myles to Steve Perry at all. Chris Cornell, maybe a little bit. Just my opinion....
I agree with you Kim. I had always been a big Journey fan, especially back "in their day". I don't see any likeness between Steve and Myles.

A friend of mine compared Myles to Geoff Tate. I don't know. I really, really like Geoff Tate. But, Myles just hasn't clicked with me yet. I just don't care for his voice and it has nothing to do with being a Creed fan.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) I agree with you Kim. I had always been a big Journey fan, especially back "in their day". I don't see any likeness between Steve and Myles.

A friend of mine compared Myles to Geoff Tate. I don't know. I really, really like Geoff Tate. But, Myles just hasn't clicked with me yet. I just don't care for his voice and it has nothing to do with being a Creed fan.

yeah he can hit the highs like tate (perhaps not as high as tate though). he has a r and b vocal styling in places and also sounds like cornell and jeff buckley (who shared that trait) and that is very good company. there would be two songs that i would buy/download to show what myles can do. they would be "summergirl" from "second skin" where he is amazing near the end and a marvin gaye cover "inner city blues" off "fallout" where he is hitting some highs way too easily near the beginning and some cool guitar work as well. in most bands he would be the lead guitarist........
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 08-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
altered
USER INFO »
I have seen him play guitar and nothing he has recorded has captured his talent, he is an amazing guitar player.He has played guitar longer and spent more time doing it then he has been singing.With him focusing on singing right now he will only get better.He is DRIVVEN! I still want to see him and Mark play guitar together though, that would be very very cool~
Old 08-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
altered
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) i haven't seen too much negative talk about his voice outside the creed community to be honest. its universal (almost) that this band is an "upgrade" at the very least. i can hear cornell, buckley and guys like wonder but it makes for a great mix. you voice is your voice after all.......
Yeah, I totally agree
Old 08-15-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
altered
USER INFO »
I think its natural for some people not to like Myles, I dont have a problem with it. I just think there are some that have really bad reasons and maybe resentful.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
altered
USER INFO »
I also think Myles and Marks voice work really well together!
Old 08-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #13
altered
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Well, maybe some people are, but I'm not .
There are only a couple people that are being negative, and in there case I think its resent.I can even understand it, but to read they made the wrong choice in singers irritates me since I happen to love Myles voice. I think Mark and Myles are going to do great things together.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:57 PM   #14
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
I didn't listen to Soundgarden but like Audioslave...don't see any similarity between Perry and Kennedy, but also dont' see alot of similarity with Cornell either.

I don't really care for Kennedy's voice...but then thats just me. Has nothing to do with who he is....others thinks he's incredibly talented and I'm sure he is. His voice just doesn't do anything for me.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by altered) I have seen him play guitar and nothing he has recorded has captured his talent, he is an amazing guitar player.He has played guitar longer and spent more time doing it then he has been singing.With him focusing on singing right now he will only get better.He is DRIVVEN! I still want to see him and Mark play guitar together though, that would be very very cool~

would i be right in saying the mf4 were vocal/lyric driven? he was the lead guitarist in that band but there weren't too many solos. he and mark playing together will be an awesome experience, i really would love it if they both went nuts on their axes.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie