++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 05-14-2003, 01:49 AM   #46
Lechium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by creedfan47a
<b>Maybe I'm confused too....... you may be right actually, about the in between thing.

Lech, there are different translations of the Bible, not versions. &nbsp;Some translations are hard to understand (with "thou" and "thy", etc everywhere) and some are much easier to understand, with simple everyday language. &nbsp;It gets contradictory when people substitute their own meanings into the Bible. </b>

Nah there are versions. Some of them have some books otehr havent. I think Revelations is one book that is in some bibles bit not others... Also when you translate things you do chaneg meanign around a bit, as some languages dont have exact equivalents of some words or phrases.

I read LOTR in translated in Russian by 2 different people. A lot of details were twisted around, and when I read original even more things changed heh

P.S. Holy Bible. King Jame's VERSION. hummmm....
Old 05-14-2003, 01:54 AM   #47
creedfan47a
USER INFO »
Geez, for someone so open-minded, you sure take the word "version" literally, don't you?!!?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:56 AM   #48
Lechium
USER INFO »
Well they are different verions. I mean if it is just translation, than why would he call it his version. Sometimes things are exaclty what sticker on them says.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 AM   #49
creedfan47a
USER INFO »
So what does that "L" on your forehead say about you? :lol:
Old 05-14-2003, 02:31 AM   #50
Lechium
USER INFO »
It says that you're seeing things.. dunno..
Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #51
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Leech,

King James version is actually King James translation, when the Bible was first translated to English.

Revelations is in all Bibles. I know what youīre saing. The thing is, after some years (I donīt know how much time later), the Roman Catholic Church added to the Bible new books, called apocryph books. Those apocryph books contain different stuff that contradict parts of the Bible and themselves and they arenīt considered to be truthfully by others teologists and historiators. (sp?)
Old 05-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #52
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
And King James is considered the best translation from Hebrew/Greek ever.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #53
Lechium
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
And King James is considered the best translation from Hebrew/Greek ever.

"best" is very subjective.
When you translate book as big as that you are bound to give yrou own interpretation to hard to translate places. Happens all the time.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #54
Lechium
USER INFO »
For example...
"Satan" means "enemy" or "opposing force" in Hebrew, but how did he get tranlsated into English? They made it into a name, rather than translating it properly. There you go.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #55
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I know.

Thatīs why itīs considered the best. KJames was more faithfully to the original in Hebrew.

For example: the first Portuguese version says David met his neighbor, while KJ says he layed down with her, exactly what the Hebrew says. Itīs just the words that are different, but the meaning is still the same. I dunno why the guy decided to put "meet", but you do understand, when reading, he commited adultery.

Depending on the time translations were done, cultural aspects (specially the literature period/trends) of the time influenced it.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:29 PM   #56
marlsy
USER INFO »
ok, you guys have to read this post by someone on my hubbys board, it's long but really interesting....... i'm not saying it's true it just gets you thinking is all I'm saying..................... Let me now what you think about it.
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthre...60&pagenumber=1

read all of RICH'S posts, it really is interesting, I think you Lech will really find it interesting.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #57
Wadrick
USER INFO »
Currently:
Ok, I have several points to make.

Lechium said, "Blah blah blah blah blah...
Could you think for a second without refering to the Bible? The way you peple are deadlocked on that book, and are unwilling to think outside of the box (box? mental prison rather) amazes me."

The box that you are talking of is nonexistent. That is the truth. The box is the Bible. There is no getting around it. It is the truth, God says that it is, so it is. If you don't believe this, when you wake up in hell one day, remember me, and wishthat you are dreaming, so that you can have a do - over.

Mel!ssa - "lengths of time' to me, hint long spans of time that evolutionists use. Don't get ticked off at me, when I did not understand what you said. I diddn't know that you are for creation and evolution, You statement is confusing to me.

creedfan47a - I agree with Lechium on this one...Purgatory, is the in - between place from heaven and hell, where in the Catholic religion, most every one (but not every one, the ones that don't go, are the really good ones like the apostles), goes to be purged of their sins, before they can enter Ehaven. It is not hell, you are not punished there, you just live there until you conquer your sins, so that you can enter heaven. IT is mentioned no where in the bible and not even remotely. It is somehting that that the Catholics "made up."

N30°14'?.7 W84° - I agree with you on everything except this: Jesus has his Millenium on the earth. I can't remember where the verse is, but it is there.

Lechium - there are not a bazzilion different versions of the Bible. There are Translataions. The translations are aqurate because when the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, they tested the original documents that they found, with the text that we have today. It has proved to be extremely accurate. The only version that I know of, that is not a good one, is the NIV. That may be called a version, because they leave stuff out, and put stuff it. That translation, is not accurate. The king james "versin" says the same thing as the NAS, and all the others. It has been tested, and has proved to be extremely accurate. That whole, "too many versions of the Buible and too many translations. How can we know what the original text syas?" thing, doesn't work. We can know what the original document says, because we have the documents - the Dead Sea Scrolls, and they prove that the txt that we have today, is accurate.

Satan is what all that means in English. For someone who supposedly knows as much about the bible as youi leech, I am surprised that you are not a Christina yet. maybe one day...if not you will soo see the :devil:
Old 05-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #58
Lechium
USER INFO »
Have you seen Dead Sea Scrolls?
Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 PM   #59
creedfan47a
USER INFO »
Wadrick - Mel!ssa does not believe in evolution. I think she made that clear. If anyone's posts are hard to understand, it's yours, what with the spelling errors and typos.

The fact that she said that the "days" of creation are not literal 24 hour periods does not automatically mean that she believes in evolution. There are numerous examples in the Bible of the word "day" being used to indicated a length of time not necessarily 24 hours.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #60
marlsy
USER INFO »
is anyone gonna read what I put up?? It's all about what you guys are talking about.