++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
WHEN was OYE written?

from the things i have read, and if they are to be believed...the music that was written for the AB record was done so by Mark in advance of the choice to disband Creed..

the majority of the songs AB has recorded were to be used on the next Creed album...and there was some collaboration between Mark and Myles...but only on a few of the songs.

so my question is as above WHEN was OYE written?...mainly interested in when the lyrics were written...before or after the disbandment?

~Ann~
a.k.a.
M.O.M./Cdm2
Old 06-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
multifast1
USER INFO »
I don't know for sure, but I would guess they were written around the time Mark was contemplating things coming to an end with Creed. The song is sort of generic in the lyrics (just saying it could be applied to a lot of things) but I get the gut feeling it's about Mark's struggles seeing the possible end of the band and everything he worked for and is trying desperately to hold togetehr.

Hopefully an "insider" can at least answer your question about when the lyrics where written. Great question!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yeah, that would be my guess as well, about the timing and the song. You're right that it can be applied to many situations, but that's the first thing I thought of when I read the lyrics. He also could have been writing while still on tour.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
The whole band had input on Open Your Eyes, it was written by all of them.

The lyrics were written by both Mark and Myles, they collaborated equally to the song, according to Michael.

So the answer is no. This song wasn't supposed to appear on the 4th album.

I though you all saw that. I'll start to post Michael's posts here again. I'll try to find his quote.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
The Lithium
USER INFO »
As far as I've heard Marcos is right. This is an 100% Alter Bridge-song and it's kind of about their thoughts about ending something big and start something small... But Alter Bridge will turn BIG!!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Yea as was said above, according to Michael Tremonti, the lyrics of "Open Your Eyes" were a colaboration between Mark and Myles and the song itself was written by the whole band.

http://p202.ezboard.com/falterbridge...icID=750.topic

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 06-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
ctfan
USER INFO »
Thanks Steve for the link , but I'm confused again. I thought that Mark said that he'd written most of the songs over the past 5 years. So did he mean the music, or lyrics? .
Old 06-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
multifast1
USER INFO »
OK.. All Michael said was it was written by the whole band and the lyrics were a collaboration of Mark and Myles, BUT that doesn't necessarily say when it was written or what it is about. Maybe Michael explained it more somewhere else but perhaps this basics of the song and meaning were done by Mark before ALter Bridge came together and then the band and Myles helped finish out the song. This is all guessing on my part.. nothing to back it up other than gut feeling.. but the thread Steve referred to didn't really answer when the song was concieved.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:32 PM   #9
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Yes, you're right it didn't really give a date as to when the song was conceived. I'm sure it's quite possible that Mark had the guitar parts written during the "Creed time" and then when they started Alter Bridge, he had the rest of the band contribute to his original parts and thus the song was born. I would assume however, that the full song was not fully written until Alter Bridge started up, since he did say that the rest of the band helped out. Same with the lyrics. Mark could have had some basic lyrics written down but the full lyrics were not written until Myles joined the mix.

I guess if Michael could help us out here we'd really know.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 06-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
multifast1
USER INFO »
Yeah, that would be great if Michael could give more detail. I dunno.. kinda like with Creed, as much as we all want to know the "real meaning" behind the songs.. it's almost more fun not knowing and keeping each song having a personal meaning to each fan. Yes, I know I'm talking outta both sides of my mouth there That's what good fans are supposed to do. lol.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
how do I delete a post?!
Old 06-26-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: Yeah, that would be great if Michael could give more detail. I dunno.. kinda like with Creed, as much as we all want to know the "real meaning" behind the songs..

i didn't expect any more information than what was said in the link, many things have been said in interviews and posted thus far that keep one wondering what really "is" and what actually "isn't"...

as for keeping such things "mysterious"...no, i'm going to disagree...that was a Creed thing...so far the "formula" for AB is following in the same direction, all the way down to the "few shows in Europe before playing the States" comment...i just found that kinda ironic ...almost step by step as Creed...to me..not a smart thing for a band that claims they're something "new and different"...

my opinion may not agree with your opinion...but at least it's mine.

~Ann~