++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-19-2004, 05:12 PM   #31
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I don't believe that by singing these songs stapp is trying to "be" Creed, that assumption is something that disgruntled, once Creed/now AB fans have chosen to labeled it....

he is BEING himself...SCOTT STAPP...singing songs he contributed to the experience that was Creed...that is not a sign of disrespect to anyone in my eyes...

Why must everyone think so negativily about his singing them, instead of seeing that so many people miss hearing these meaningful tunes performed live...and he has chosen to bring that wish for some fans to life?

I'm sure that when he goes on tour there will be a BALANCE between what was old and what is new...and the outcome will be quite pleasing...

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-19-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #32
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) I don't believe that by singing these songs stapp is trying to "be" Creed, that assumption is something that disgruntled, once Creed/now AB fans have chosen to labeled it....

he is BEING himself...SCOTT STAPP...singing songs he contributed to the experience that was Creed...that is not a sign of disrespect to anyone in my eyes...

Why must everyone think so negativily about his singing them, instead of seeing that so many people miss hearing these meaningful tunes performed live...and he has chosen to bring that wish for some fans to life?
I never said he was trying to be Creed. Just that it seems a little insensative that he's playing Creed songs with a cover band this soon after the breakup.
I just think his timing and the reasoning that he sang the songs in Creed are wrong. IMHO, of course.
As for bringing that wish to life....
I wish, if I ever saw them performed live again, that it would be Tremonti, Flip, and Marshall, which is never gonna happen. That Stapp could personally bring back the magic of Creed by himself, is ludacris. Unless, of course that's the only thing you thougt of when you thought of Creed, which it's fine if it is. It wasn't for me, honestly, for me, I thought more of the musicians....

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #33
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
for the record, fluttergirl...my comment was not for you inparticular...just my rebuttal to what I have observed, and to state how I feel reguarding the subject.

Quote: The song reminds you of Scott Stapp because it's Scott Stapp, but that's it. It sounds nothing at all like Creed.

I don't believe Shadow said anything of it SOUNDING like Creed...she said it REMINDED her of Creed...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:33 AM   #34
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) I meant the lyrics and when you listen to his voice on certain words - it just reminds me so much of some of the songs he sang in Creed.
That song doesn't remind me at all of Creed. If it did, I might actually like it. The only thing that's familiar is Scott's voice and his words, but there is nothing Creedlike about that song, IMO.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #35
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) That song doesn't remind me at all of Creed. If it did, I might actually like it. The only thing that's familiar is Scott's voice and his words, but there is nothing Creedlike about that song, IMO.

Word. The background was horrible, i can't explain how boring it was. I can't believe people liked this song (as a whole)......
Old 10-21-2004, 07:37 PM   #36
Agent D
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) I never said he was trying to be Creed. Just that it seems a little insensative that he's playing Creed songs with a cover band this soon after the breakup.
I just think his timing and the reasoning that he sang the songs in Creed are wrong. IMHO, of course.
I wish, if I ever saw them performed live again, that it would be Tremonti, Flip, and Marshall, which is never gonna happen. That Stapp could personally bring back the magic of Creed by himself, is ludacris. Unless, of course that's the only thing you thougt of when you thought of Creed, which it's fine if it is. It wasn't for me, honestly, for me, I thought more of the musicians....

There it is. That's the whole problem.

Ann, Shadow, you seem to be the ones who are being the most negative in this thread. It's ridiculous you keep referring to us as "disgruntled fans who once liked Creed and have now turned to AB." That's retarded. They're a new band and they happen to kickass. Don't take it so personally that their new music is being better received than Scott's.

Now in fairness, Stapp hasn't really put out as much new material as AB has so personally I'll reserve judgement. But I too am disppointed that Stapp's performing Creed songs without Flip and Tremo. It's just not the same for those of fans who loved all these musicians equally. Quite honestly, I'll be happier when his solo album comes out so it's easier to compare his post-Creed stuff to Alter Bridge.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 PM   #37
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Hmmm? I have no comment to this
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #38
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) I never said he was trying to be Creed. Just that it seems a little insensative that he's playing Creed songs with a cover band this soon after the breakup.

Quote: (Originally Posted by AgentD) There it is. That's the whole problem.

problem?...i thought this discussion was nothing more than a difference of convictions...just because someone may disagree with you or the opinions of others...i see no problem.

Quote: Ann, Shadow, you seem to be the ones who are being the most negative in this thread. It's ridiculous you keep referring to us as "disgruntled fans who once liked Creed and have now turned to AB." That's retarded. They're a new band and they happen to kickass. Don't take it so personally that their new music is being better received than Scott's.

hmmm...who said anything about things being taken "personally"?...seems you are the one that said that...i might ask the same thing about the amount of disagreement towards the announcement that stapp may sing a couple Creed songs mixed in with his ORIGIONALS...something again, many other solo artists do when they split from their former bands.

Quote: Now in fairness, Stapp hasn't really put out as much new material as AB has so personally I'll reserve judgement.

thank you for that courtesy...

Quote: But I too am disppointed that Stapp's performing Creed songs without Flip and Tremo. It's just not the same for those of fans who loved all these musicians equally.

i can understand how you would feel disappointed that "Tremo, Flip,"....and don't forget Marshall, after all he was a founding member also, that these guys weren't include...but then...THEY HAVE CHOSEN not to have anything more to do with Creed, as Mark said, "Creed is no more".

If you REALLY LOVED the MUSIC, and not just the musician... then why not feel secure in the knowledge that Creed's music hasn't been put on the shelf....that it is still being SUNG by someone that knows it better than any cover singer or cover band because he was the one that sang it in the first place...and can give it the best representation possible? How can anyone have a problem with that?

Quote: Quite honestly, I'll be happier when his solo album comes out so it's easier to compare his post-Creed stuff to Alter Bridge.

why would you want to COMPARE stapps "post-Creed stuff" to AB?....there will be no comparing...as you see...Alter Bridge has chosen their path just as stapp has chosen his...and each one is doing what they feel they must...and in order to enjoy one or the other...and in some cases both....the fans must choose their paths as well.

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-22-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:42 PM   #39
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: If you REALLY LOVED the MUSIC, and not just the musician... then why not feel secure in the knowledge that Creed's music hasn't been put on the shelf....that it is still being SUNG by someone that knows it better than any cover singer or cover band because he was the one that sang it in the first place...and can give it the best representation possible? How can anyone have a problem with that?

Because it's not CREED performing the songs, that's why, and for me the breakup is still too new for me to hear anyone else other than CREED as a whole performing those songs. Maybe after some more time has gone by, I'd be more amenable to hearing Scott do Creed songs without the rest of the founding members, but it's still too much of a sore point right now. Btw, they weren't Scott's orginals, they were THE BAND'S originals.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:32 AM   #40
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: Btw, they weren't Scott's orginals, they were THE BAND'S originals.

i can see where you are coming from, dogstar...yet by the same token...tho the band was Creed....wasn't stapp was just as much a member of that band as were the other three...????

i'm not saying that they were "stapps origionals", altho, he was involved in the writing process, lyrics, etc...i believe that since he was the "voice" of Creed...there is no reason he shouldn't sing the songs he chooses to sing.

it seems to me that many people are jumping to conclusions as to what will come from stapps solo efforts...when in the end....things will work out as they should.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #41
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion)
i can understand how you would feel disappointed that "Tremo, Flip,"....and don't forget Marshall, after all he was a founding member also, that these guys weren't include...but then...THEY HAVE CHOSEN not to have anything more to do with Creed, as Mark said, "Creed is no more".
The AB guys did not choos to not have anything more to do with Creed. It broke up. Meaning it was mutual.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion)
If you REALLY LOVED the MUSIC, and not just the musician... then why not feel secure in the knowledge that Creed's music hasn't been put on the shelf....that it is still being SUNG by someone that knows it better than any cover singer or cover band because he was the one that sang it in the first place...and can give it the best representation possible? How can anyone have a problem with that?
I do really love the music, not the musician. Which is why I'm saying I don't agree with the MUSICIAN's choice to play the MUSIc, for the sake of the MUSIC. And If you really loved the music, keeping it with your someone who knows better than anyone else...why is it ok for another band, who doesn't know better than anyone else how to play it, playing it? How can that be the best representation possible, if it only has one of the original members, and the only one who didn't play an instrument?

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) yet by the same token...tho the band was Creed....wasn't stapp was just as much a member of that band as were the other three...????
No, he was as much a member as Tremonti, or Marshall, or Flip, Not all. Just because there were two roads taken, doesn't mean the AB guys are lumped together as Stapp's equal.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) i believe that since he was the "voice" of Creed...there is no reason he shouldn't sing the songs he chooses to sing.
As ive stated before, it would be fine if it was just stapp. the problem i have is with tea party playing creed songs.

-Amber

-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #42
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: No, he was as much a member as Tremonti, or Marshall, or Flip, Not all. Just because there were two roads taken, doesn't mean the AB guys are lumped together as Stapp's equal.

maybe you would like to explain further WHY you feel this way?....altho, that was not MY point in posting what i did...as i said, stapp WAS just as much a member of Creed as any of the other three...

Quote: the problem i have is with tea party playing creed songs.

no one said that the Tea Party would be playing those songs, amber...this is assumption on the part of a number of fans...like i said...wait until the album comes out...and his tour begins....as a lot of us have been saying...i'm sure a lot of people will be pleasently surprised...

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-23-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #43
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Ummmm, because there were four guys involved...Stapp was a quarter, not a half of Creed. Why does this need to be explained?
it was just the way you posted, him being the equal of the other three....if you didnt mean it that way, fine, just how it sounded to me.

As far as Tea Party, since that will be his touring band, and hes gonna be playing those songs on tour...Its a pretty logical assumption. But my problem isnt with specifically them, just anyone other than Stapp, Flip, Tremonti, Marshall, heck, even Hestla playing these songs. It would be dandy if Stapp would play an acoustic and sing Creed songs, but I dont think he can. And at this time, I just really am not ready to see him pull in another band to replace the guys, I think he needs to move on, away from Creed first. Maybe 10 years down the road, but now? No way.

-Amber

-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #44
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) Ummmm, because there were four guys involved...Stapp was a quarter, not a half of Creed. Why does this need to be explained?
it was just the way you posted, him being the equal of the other three....if you didnt mean it that way, fine, just how it sounded to me.

As far as Tea Party, since that will be his touring band, and hes gonna be playing those songs on tour...Its a pretty logical assumption. But my problem isnt with specifically them, just anyone other than Stapp, Flip, Tremonti, Marshall, heck, even Hestla playing these songs. It would be dandy if Stapp would play an acoustic and sing Creed songs, but I dont think he can. And at this time, I just really am not ready to see him pull in another band to replace the guys, I think he needs to move on, away from Creed first. Maybe 10 years down the road, but now? No way.

Fluttergirl...you believe what you wish...i'm not attempting to change your mind here...nor is it my place to even suggest it...don't want to hear it now, i can respect that...so just don't listen...but there are others out there that do want to hear it and will listen...so, again it's a matter of personal choice...
Old 10-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #45
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) i can see where you are coming from, dogstar...yet by the same token...tho the band was Creed....wasn't stapp was just as much a member of that band as were the other three...????
I'm not saying he wasn't. I have said many times that it was a collective effort that produced that magic that was Creed.

Quote: i'm not saying that they were "stapps origionals", altho, he was involved in the writing process, lyrics, etc...i believe that since he was the "voice" of Creed...there is no reason he shouldn't sing the songs he chooses to sing.
Yes he was the literal voice of Creed but not the figurative one, IMO. I believe Mark's playing and writing were just as much a part of the process as Scott's contributions. One would not have been without the other. Therefore, hearing someone else strum the guitar (with a different style and other nuances that won't sound like Mark) would bother me right now, same with the drums. Guitarists, bassists, and drummers put their own touches and effects on their songs, and someone else who didn't write those songs probably would want to put their marks on the songs, which would bug me. I'm sorry, but I can't watch Scott sing Creed songs without the rest of Creed there. Just how I feel right now. As I said, that could change, but it would hard for me to stomach it right now. Same with AB. I don't want to hear Myles do Creed songs. It just wouldn't be the same.

Quote: it seems to me that many people are jumping to conclusions as to what will come from stapps solo efforts...when in the end....things will work out as they should.

Well, I'm not one of those people and I'm really hoping I like what he does. But, as I did with AB, I will wait to hear it before making any judgment.