View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
My review of the May 5, 2005 Cream show

Here is my review of the first night I went to which was the third night of four concerts. I'll have the review of the last night later if anyone cares. Internet Explorer has been driving me nuts lately, so I've been slowed down considerably all day on the computer which has taken away from time to write what I want to. Sorry for any typos, but I think I got all of them (and grammar mistakes). Or most of them at least.

Cream
London, England
Royal Albert Hall
5/05/05

01. I’m So Glad
02. Spoonful
03. Outside Woman Blues
04. Pressed Rat and Warthog
05. Sleepy Time Time
06. N.S.U.
07. Badge
08. Politician
09. Sweet Wine
10. Rollin’ & Tumblin’
11. Stormy Monday Blues
12. Deserted Cities of the Heart
13. Born Under a Bad Sign
14. We’re Going Wrong
15. Crossroads
16. Sitting on Top of the World
17. White Room
18. Toad
19. Sunshine of Your Love (encore)

Somehow, well thanks to the help of some great friends, I make it to London after what was the longest weekend of my life when I missed my flight. There is something about Clapton concerts and me that means a roadblock needs to be set in my way, but luckily it never stops me from getting to a show. I got to London the day of the Thursday concert, so I got to see London a little. But I was fretting over that night. All of my friends were going, and the ticket I once had was sold by a “friend.” As soon as I get out of the cab this guy asks if I need a ticket, and I tell him I do. He proceeds to try and find his friend for the next five or so minutes. He shows me the ticket and it’s 18th row on the floor on Eric’s side. And he wants 600 pounds!! I think I took that much with me. I get his price down to 375 pounds, but end up paying 390 pounds when I give him that much and he just asks, “Are we even?” I say sure because I really want my ticket. So the highest I’ve ever paid for a ticket goes to…Cream!! I wouldn’t have it any other way I suppose.

Okay, I have a problem about telling every single minute, so I’ll spare you all my anticipation of the show for the hour I was in the bar. But then it’s announced five minutes before Cream take the stage, and I get down to the floor and find my seat. Why it wasn’t lighted up by the light of the heavens I don’t know because it surely warranted it. I was really excited at this point and the smile that would seemingly need to be surgically removed from my face was in place. Showtime was just minutes away. I decide to talk to the guy next to me since we would be neighbors for the next two hours, but as soon as I ask him about it being his first Cream show he points up to my right and says, “Don’t you think that is David Crosby?” So I follow his gaze, and lo and behold it’s David Crosby! Either that or his Las Vegas impersonator was there to watch Cream. But he didn’t get more than a minute of my time because Cream were coming out onstage, and I needed to soak up every nanosecond of the next two hours.

“I’m So Glad” is such a fitting opener. I mean whether it’s people living on nostalgia or who are like me and were born 15 years too late to see Cream we were all for sure “so glad.” The applause was great, and I’m So Glad was very good. Immediately I noticed the band was a very cohesive unit and Jack was sounding better than I’ve ever known. I also hear this show was the best of the three nights (the two previous and the third), and I’m not surprised because it sure sounded like it to me even without hearing the previous shows.

Not only is Jack sounding great singing-wise, but also his bass playing is very solid, flowing freely, and just intense like his singing. “Spoonful” was outstanding to me. This was the best version of “Spoonful” I had ever heard up this point. It surpasses the boots and Wheels of Fire for me. I mean when Jack gets to the part, “They’re lying about it,” and just growls out the lyrics with amazing passion I don’t see how I couldn’t prefer that version. It sent chills down my spine, and I noticed I quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed how good that was. It’s definitely going to be one of those moments when I get the official cd and boots that will be rewound over and over so I can listen to that five seconds multiple times. Ginger is bringing the beat like only he can, and Eric was providing some very tasty guitar work, well, like only he can as well. I was only into the second song of the concert yet I knew this was going to be something beyond my expectations Gibson guitar or not.

“Outside Woman Blues” was magnificent. At this moment in my head I’m just thinking write, “Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!” and it will sum up my feelings. But I’m going to spare you my cyber translation of my indescribable excitement and actually try to coherently put it down. Which I kind of just snuck in there anyway, didn’t I? lol This was an aggressive version and it has aged well. As a matter of fact I also prefer it to the versions of the past. Every time Eric would sing “outside women, too,” he would, I guess, squeak his voice. I have no idea how to describe that effectively, but God I love it way too much. I mean it’s just those little moments such as that, or Jack on Spoonful, or that protracted note that just make a show. I could listen to that over and over for the next week, and I doubt I would get tired of it. This song could very well be the highlight for me. Then again, I’m not sure. Richard asked me afterwards when we were with Susan and hanging out at the Hoop and Toy pub. I thought this song immediately, but “Spoonful,” “Crossroads,” “Born Under A Bad Sign,” and “Sunshine of Your Love” are all so excellent. The whole thing was so good it makes it difficult to choose.

“Pressed Rat and Warthog” was better than I expected. I must admit I was never a big fan of the song, but there is always something about hearing a song live that can change your mind. To see the interaction between Jack, Ginger, and Eric, and to know they were having a good time just contributed to my liking of this song. It was nice to hear it and see it performed. Of course afterwards we get the obligatory sales pitch from Ginger about how rat and warthog have set up outside selling Cream memorabilia which had the audience laughing.

“Sleepy Time Time” follows next, and I never realized how good it was until I heard it live. I listen to all of the recordings of it differently now. Great harmony vocals and some nice guitar work. Just a solid performance.

“N.S.U.” was a real treat. First of all, I start laughing about the song’s influence. I’m wondering if everyone knows why I’m laughing. This performance makes me think of everything I’ve heard before this because the bass, guitar, and drumming were so strong. Great improvisation no matter how small compared to the past. Just seeing the guys really jam for three or four minutes on a great song is really fantastic and all the more better when you think that these guys can, and are, living up to their legendary status.

“Badge” was sounding so much more like the original, which I love! I mean “Badge” through the years has been great, but it has often been missing that bite and strength you get from the shorter version and maybe from not having the instruments played by people like Jack, Ginger, and Eric with his two companions by his side. Eric was really bringing a crunchier or ragged sounded and the vocals were exemplary. I guess right here I should say how much I love watching him play guitar. The way he just tilts his head or body back and you can see him feel every note he plays. It’s just something that helps prove to me why he’s my favorite, and best, guitarist. Anyway, and then to have “Badge” segue right into “Politician” was too good to be true. That was something I didn’t expect because I hadn’t read about it yet, and it just made the performance that much stronger. The song just laid down a real nice groove for the night, and I was enjoying it immensely.

“Sweet Wine” was one of the songs I wanted to hear when I was making up my fantasy setlist, and I wasn’t sure it would be heard. But there it was. I suppose it could have been better, but it was good nonetheless. It was funny because Jack got a little mixed up on the lyrics and it had Eric laughing which in turn had Ginger laughing. Once again seeing these guys feed off of each other and laughing onstage was really nice.

(to be continued)
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/

Last edited by SmilinSkullRing : 05-14-2005 at 01:30 PM.