View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #51
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) I'm down to join a cult and get my own planet some day.
You're an idiot. Mormonism is NOT a cult, and NO ONE gets their own planet. Have you even read the beginning of this thread? Maybe you should.

Now onto the more important stuff...

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Maybe "churches" change and spring up all over the place, but I don't think Christ's church was meant to morph into something else. And yes, Christ DID promise the Church would last, "The Gates of Hell will not prevail agaisnt you".
The gates of hell will not prevail against the true church because it is the truth. The "true church" will not be brought down by evil.

Let me put it like this (how I believe it): Everyone in the world has the free agency to choose what they want to do, and everyone who ever has lived also had this. God does not force anyone to do anything. One person can construe the teachings. That is why the truth needed to be restored in it's fullness. Hence, it prevails. Look at it like this: in a boxing match, one of the contestants is not always winning, yet, in the end, one wins. This is the same. There has been a constant battle and evil does bring down truth, but truth will win out.
Quote: And if you believe there is only one God and yet three persons in God, how is that Different from the Trinity?
I never said I believe they're three people in God. Maybe you need to read my posts a bit slower. They are one in PURPOSE. Meaning, they teach the will of God, love, charity, kindness, compassion, etc.

Let's try it like this. Scott Stapp, Mark Tremonti, and Scott Phillips are three seperate people, yet for years, they had one purpose. That being Creed. Creed is not one person. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are not one person.
Quote: Finally, The reason I ask for the time you think the Church started to go sour is because early Church Father writings all back up Catholic doctinres. We see evidence of the Eucharist, the Trinity, superiority of the Bishops, etc. etc. Yet if the early Church was Mormon, we wouldn't see those things, would we? For instance, writing in the first or second decade of the second century, St. Irenaus writes in his "Against Heresies" (speaking about a certain group of heretics):

"...For they do not confess the Eucharist to be the Body and Blood of Christ"--not an exact quotation.

Please continue though, this has been very interesting.
Catholicism is the same as Christianity. The only reason they're referred to as different is because of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches excommunicating each other because of fighting over doctrine, some of which had been changed. Mormonism, which is a sect of Christianity, also backs up teachings of early churches. That is to say, the correct things. Doctrines we also see in the Bible. They're aren't "mormon" writings from then because "mormonism" didn't exist as we know it today. Back then it was Christ's church. And don't you dare try to tell me that the Catholic doctrine has never changed.

And while we're on it... it is not the Mormon church. To refer to it, it is the LDS church. Mormon is a man who wrote part of the Book of Mormon, and was the main record keeper for a long period of time. It was passed through his family for the record to be kept. To call the church the Mormon church, is inaccurate.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"