View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) My opinion on the issue:

She probably has no chance to recover and it's a lost cause to keep her alive in that state. However, there's more to the story.

She had no living will so the issue of keeping or removing the feeding tube lies with the person most responsible for her - her husband. The problem with this mess is that her husband moved on long ago and started another family with another woman. He just never got a divorce from Terri. Why hasn't he gotten a divorce? There has to be a reason... maybe a life insurance policy? Some other kind of fortune? I have no idea, but it just doesn't make sense. He has and wants nothing to do with Terri anymore, yet he keeps fighting the parents over their daughter.

What I think should happen is that custody of Terri should be handed over to the parents and let the parents do what they want with her. If they want to keep her feeding tube connected, let 'em. So what? As long as they cover the costs of care, what's the harm of that? Terri's "husband" should let go - like I said before, he's got nothing to do with her anymore. So why is he so intent on being involved now?
Really? Well, if he did get married to another woman without getting a divorce from his first wife, then the second marriage is not legal. It would be a common-law marriage, which would mean he's still the legal party over his wife. I don't know why he never divorced her. Maybe it was because she was already in this state, and knew what would happen if he did. (The same thing that's happening now.) He's been fighting for years to have her feeding tubes removed. After she dies he would be able to claim his current wife as a legal "wife." Some religions teach that divorce is an evil thing, not of Christ, and one must never divorce their spouse. Perhaps that's why he's never divorced her. I don't remember what religion he is, but I believe her parents are Roman Catholic, which teach some things like that.

I guess really there's no point on speculating why he never did it. We'll never fully know. I just think it's pathetic that so many people are getting involved and protesting the whole thing, especially when about 99% never even heard of her until this thing started. People are trying to make decisions that they have no say it. It's not their place to judge if it's murder.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"