Thread: best chorus?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
Icedmofo
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: best chorus?

One thing stapp has never been able to learn until perhaps now is what his limits are as a vocalist.

I would love to be able to sing as high as Myles can. Sometimes i play around with it in my writing, but at the end of the day i know that my voice doesn't sound good up there and it's definitely not healthy for me to be singing it, so i don't do it.

A smart writer has to sit down after he finishes a song and say "ok, can i sing this 8 times a week and still be able to do it again the next week without needing a shot of prednizone in my neck"

You can't tell me Stapp sat down after writing the chorus and especially the bridge of One Last Breath and said "yeah, no problem". (well maybe he did, but he SHOULDNT have is my point).

If you listen to some of the songs on the cd's and then listen to him live, it's clear that they either pitch adjusted his voice or he was onyl able to hit it once every blue moon.

It's sort of the plague of rock vocalists who aren't trained. It's 50/50. They either have vocal chords of steel that just will not break down no matter what they do, or they write out of their range, strain their vocal chords, and then trash their voices in 5-6 years.

Very few actually think of the longevity of their careers. The first sign of intelligence Stapp has shown in this regard was to downtune the set for the tour. He still doesnt sing half the notes of the recorded versions of the songs, to which i say "then why write it in a way you can't sing it live?"

It's IMO the main reason they brough ERock on the tour, not to give tremonti support on rhythm, tremo is a beast and if the shit hit the fan he could cover rhythm and lead like he used to. They brough ERock on to sing backup on the parts that Stapp can't hit. That high vocal line in the recorded version of Overcome that Stapp sings, he can't sing live, so ERock does.

Ironically, the songs that sound the best are the ones that Stapp wrote to actually fit his vocal range. A Thousand Faces is by leaps and bounds my favorite song, but that's because Stapp wrote his vocal line lower in his register where he can get some power behind it and let Tremonti sing the high part because he CAN and SOUNDS GOOD there.