View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #48
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I just picked up Robert Randolph and the Family Band live at the Wetlands in NYC. I saw them with Clapton earlier this year. Friggin' awesome live band.

The last two weeks -- CD's and DVD's.

Live Aid DVD - Various Artists
Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival - Various Artists
MTV (Un)Plugged - Bruce Springsteen
Strange Pleasure - Jimmie Vaughan
Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground
Emotive - A Perfect Circle
Electric Sweat - The Mooney Suzuki
20,000 Streets Under The Sky - Marah

Live Aid is great, but it has it's bad moments. Only it's bad moments with certain artists because I just don't like them, but the whole concert is amazing and for great, worthy cause. Eric Clapton is fantastic especially since he played White Room for the first time in 16 years! The Who are great, but their complete set wasn't show because some of it was lost, Bob Dylan wasn't at his best but good to me nonetheless, Dire Straits were very good, and a lot of other acts. Worth the money.

The Crossroads Guitar Festival is excellent! I can't say much more. You have to see the greatness for yourself.

MTV Plugged is the first time it's on DVD with a few new tracks. Bruce Springsteen in fine form as always.

Strange Pleasure was Jimmie Vaughan's first solo cd (he was in the Fabulous Thunderbirds), and it came out SRV's death. Pretty good cd, but I just love Six Strings Down and had to have the cd. Got it used to.

I only had VU's Loaded before this cd. I had heard a lot of tracks from it, really liked it, and thought it was time to get it. Even though this is usually most people's favorite VU album, or at least they prefer it over Loaded, I still have to go with Loaded.

Emotive by A Perfect Circle is my first APC album. I picked up a sample dvd that had a song, "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm of The War Drums" playing as well. It gave a taste of both new releases. I liked the song a lot and was curious about their covers as well, so I bought the album. I really like it myself. For example, Imagine isn't as good as Lennon's original, but it's good I think. I like hearing the different take on the songs.

Electric Sweat by The Mooney Suzuki. The Mooney Suzuki are a great, young garage rock band. I like this album a lot.

Marah's album isn't as great as some made it out to be, but I like it. I can easily see in their stylistic approach how Bruce Springsteen is a major influence (they've been lucky enough to appear onstage with Bruce and he likes them), but they have a long way to go to be as good as him. The album just has it's weak parts that can't hold my attention. Still not bad.
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/