View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
"Guns don't kill people, dangerous minorities do."

While appearing pejoratively racist (which is entirely possible, since I believe this quote is from King of the Hill, and was used as such), this comment can actually prove to be quite true if you take "minority" not to mean a racial minority, but any group in the minority. WASPs generally won't use violence to get what they want largely because they're able to easily & readily engage in the customary democratic means to acquire what they want/need. Any other minority--be they poor, Hispanic, what have you--is less-easily accepted by "the system" and therefore resorts to another means to get what they want: this other means generally tends to be violence, perpetrated largely by the "dangerous."

In any matter, I agree that outlawing guns won't stop violence. I find this debate actually parallels the debate over the legalisation of marijuana. Those in favor say that, in so doing, the government will be able to tax the sale of marijuna, and the FDA will be able to place regulations on the drug so as to keep it safer for users. Likewise, selling guns legally (albeit w/ strong restrictions, a mandatory waiting period, etc) will help to prevent people from subverting the system & buying thru the black market and such. I've gotta go to work, but I'll give more thoughts later...