View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #74
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
People are really missing the point here. Why is it that we can't criticize a performance if it was not to our liking? It has nothing to do with Scott Stapp as a person, or his fricken image, for crying out loud. Bottom line is, some of the stuff he has done since the breakup has not been good. I haven't seen the NASCAR thing, but I heard Relearn Love, didn't like it, and I watched him sing God Bless America at the World Series, again, I didn't like it. It has nothing to do with *supporting him*. It has everything to do with how he performed, and I'm sorry, but in my opinion only, he did not perform well, at least not up to the standard I have seen him reach previously. So I'm a basher because his performances so far have dissatisfied me? Again, ridiculous.

With regard to AB, yes, I like what I have heard, so am I a non-supporter because I happen to like AB and a lot of the so-called Stapp supporters don't like AB? This is ridiculous. I am anxiously awaiting what the man will do solo-wise, and because AB is ahead of the game right now, I can only go by what Stapp has done to date. Right now, I'm not impressed. I agree with Steve that I think his voice has gone downhill. I'm thinking he did a lot of damage to it on the Weathered tour. There were a number of performances on that tour in which he sings off-key and is unable to hit the notes he typically hits. Unfortunately, that insane schedule did him in, voice-wise. I'm hoping it can recover enough for him to continue performing, if that's what he wants to do.

With regard to the promoting, I do agree he's hanging on to the past. I understand his having to mention that he's from Creed, that's marketing 101, but I'm sorry, the breakup is still too new for me to be hearing him sing Creed songs without the rest of Creed. I would be just as pissed off if AB did them. He should give it more time. Sorry, just my opinion.

And as I have said countless times before, Jerry Cantrell, STP, and the rest performed those songs from their respective bands after very long periods of inactivity from their old bands, years even. In Jerry's case, what he typically performed were songs in which he wrote the lyrics, instrumentation and melodies. Also, he sang Alice songs on which he was lead vox in AIC. It wasn't like he was trying to sing Love, Hate, Love or I Stay Away or Frogs, where the lead vocals were done originally by Layne Staley.

Sorry this is so long.