View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #34
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Jango does have a point however, grunge music is more of a dirty punk influenced sound and so a band like Green River would be grunge. Saying that Mother Love Bone (both bands pre-cursors to Pearl Jam) wouldn't be because that was glam basically. Radiohead came out around that time but apart from Creep nothing that they've done is very grungy or like the other bands listed. The most popular early 90's bands are listed and I'll detail why my list is the way it is.

PJ- For me this band has obviously outlasted the rest but also I think they're the most talented. Every member of the band is easily amongst the best at what they do and all members are good songwriters. There are a few Ten fans here but all of their stuff is worth getting your hands on. Eddie gets all the limelight but most people forget that Mike McCready is the best lead guitarist out of all these bands.

AIC-Probably the best harmonsing that rock has ever seen with Layne and Jerry simply awesome. Jerry is a fantatic songwriter and then Layne goes off and creates magic with Mad Season. Good at either hard rock (We Die Young) or softer acoustic stuff on Jar of Flies. Awesome.....

Soundgarden- Cornell at least at his peak is the best rock vocalist seen for a couple of decades and he started as a drummer. Matt Cameron is a machine and Ben Shephard and Kim Thayil are more than handy.

STP-Copped it at PJ rip-offs but that is plainly a lie. They started out making "cock-rock" but developed into more Revolver style Beatles stuff that was very trippy and inventive. The Deleo brothers need to get something else going now that STP is dead and buried seemingly forever.

Nirvana-Overated but Kurt was a very good songwriter and Dave Grohl has done a fantastic job graduating from drummer of the highest order to funny and talented frontman of the foos.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie