View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #143
Julbright
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Sheila63
You make a very good point, Julbright.  More and more I'm realizing it's about balance.  I live with one of my sisters who has never had a weight problem.  She eats well the majority of the time and she's active but occasionally she allows herself to have some of her favorites - potato chips and doughnuts.  I know I've done the whole deprivation thing too and you're right, it just causes me to binge.  I'm also starting to become more active (going to the Y in awhile) so I know that will help too.

You are so right - being active will help too. I find that I often say that to my teenager - All of life really is about balance ! I can't think of one example of anything that that doesn't apply to!

In terms of weight - I think that is why so many people are attracted to Weight Watchers points programs - you eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your points range and it only takes a couple weeks on the plan to realize that you have to balance or you will be very hungry and not see results! You get to bank points if you know that you are going to be heading to a big event or meal - meaning that you don't use all your points from the days before - etc. It teaches you to think it through and plan ahead to find the balance. I have also looked at doing the Body for Life Program which is pretty restrictive with food for 6 days and on the 7th you are told to eat whatever you want. Kind of a different concept of balance there but it still acknowledges that there has got to be some balance.

I think if we are too rigid we will be bouncing back and forth alot - it seems that you and I have both experienced that. AND I also believe in small steps - one soda a day versus 10 is HUGE progress and we need to celebrate all successes no matter how small!

Being aware is half the battle ! Keep it up!
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie