View Single Post
Old 11-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #35
knifer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
And what exactly is "tolerance"?

In our culture, tolerance has been exalted as the highest virtue to be embraced and pursued. It would appear that intolerance is our society’s greatest sin. The intolerant person is the one thing that cannot be tolerated, the one person who must be shamed or silenced.

What you are insisting on isn’t tolerance, but "forced neutrality," that is, not ever voicing disagreement or objection to anything.

For example, when a Christian looks at the increasing popularity of Buddhism in American culture, what does genuine tolerance look like? It’s Christians saying, "Well, we think the main ideas of Buddhism aren’t true because they are in conflict with the Christian faith, but we certainly affirm the right of Buddhists to practice their faith freely and without hindrance."

But the "forced neutrality" you speak of simply won’t accept that, but instead it insists that Christians say, "Well, you know, Buddhism is just as true and valid way to know God as any other religion is, including the Christian faith."

Tolerance, according to The American Heritage Dictionary is “the capacity for or practice of recognizing and respecting the opinions, practices, or behavior of others.”

When you talk about “tolerating” something, what generally comes to mind?

I think of things like brussel sprouts. Or blueberry pie.

I don’t like these, but I tolerate them if they’re offered to me.

I tolerate other people’s opinions about me, but that doesn’t mean that I agree or accept them at face value.

When you tolerate something, you’re putting up with something you don’t necessarily like.

But that’s not what you want, is it?. I have to not only respect or recognize a different opinion, practice, or behavior, but embrace and celebrate it as well to meet your definition of tolerance.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance, and it certainly does not mean celebration.

And if you tell me that I have no right to believe as I do, you are not being very tolerant, according to you own implied definition.