View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by SecretWeapon) Perhaps you really need to READ the last statement there. Growing up, I was
pressured into denying my christianity out of fear of being a reject. I know
that many other Christians feel the same way. I don't understand how a class
full of young people -who will say something like "why? are you religious?" if I ask them to watch their language- is a minority.
I didn't say that you were not have a hard childhood with your faith but what I am saying is that Atheists are more harassed because of the simple fact being that there are more Christians, Jews, Muslims, and other theists that will criticize and persecute Atheists. Just by sheer numbers there are more to persecute Atheists than there are to persecute Christians.

Quote: hmm, paradoxes are not scientific? That's interesting seeing as how paradoxes are flaws in thought and theories, which exist. For example,
a theory that one could kill himself by going back in time to kill his (young) grandfather so that his father is never born can be disproved by showing
that the man or women who went back in time to kill his/her grandfather,
never being born, could never have gone back in time to kill his/her grandfather.
Yeah that is really scientific time travel something that at this point is barely on the fringe of science. Uh huh yeah REAL SCIENTIFIC

Quote: Maybe. you need to read up on Shaeffer.
I am familiar with his works I just didn't recognize the name 'til I searched it. I have and there is nothing new or special about him just the same old same old.
Quote: Hitler was fundamentally an athiest who basically believed in "survival of the fittest",
thus the nazi army and WW2. Any 'god' he may have believed in, I do not beleive in.
you need to read up on Hitler (start with Mein Kampf) he in fact did believe in god the Christian god to be exact (*that is the closest version of god you could identify him with) it is the Christian/Catholic Church who have propagated the lie that Hitler was an Atheist.
Quote: Second, if you would read the second half the statement you just quoted, you would see my response to your Bin Laden and Husein argument.

I read it but you lumped Bin Laden and Hussein in the godless types... just because you claim that they believe in a different god than you, doesn’t make them godless they have a god. DUH!

Quote: I know my OT, thank you very much, and I don't see a violent, childish god at all. I see a God who is God, who created the universe and everything in it,
I see a Holy God who has done nothing wrong, as He is incapible of sinning, I see a just God who acts in wrath, only in answer to the laws He gave being broken. I see mankind as a fallen, sinful race who has no place nor right to judge God, just as the criminal on trial has no place to judge or accuse the
(in this case perfect and blameless) judge.
You have got to be kidding right? I mean come on the god of the OT and NT are not the same only some one blinded by faith would not be able to see that and the OT god did go back on his word and changed his mind... so much for being perfect.
Quote: You left out

Persons guilty of incest
Nations who were not Isreal
Certain members of Isreal
and (at least) two priests of Isreal, whom God killed Himself
Yeah I know I just named a few off the top of my head
Quote: Gays, yes, in the nation of Isreal, because they have polluted God's Holy name by their sin.
its great to know that you are a bigot I thought hatred was a sin
Quote: Show me where is says to kill raped women, I can't seem to recal that part.
I will need to reference back but basically it says to kill the woman and compensate the father for destroying his "property" and since the woman was no longer pure she must be put to death.
Quote: ^Same thing with pregnangt women.
it was during Israel’s conquering of the "Promise Land" they were instructed to kill every one men women children and even the women with child they were to cut the women open and kill the fetuses and "dash the babies heads on rocks" [sarcasm]No Christian wants to remember that now do they it is so convenient to ignore because it is grotesque and no loving god would ever do that to a defenseless fetus remember abortion is wrong.[/sarcasm]
Quote: Someone who does not attend church?! Where is that at?
Honor the Sabbath and keep it holy if one works on the Sabbath he shall be put to death
Quote: Children of non believers? What? I'll need a reference as I seem to have missed/ forgotten that part, also.
See above answer about Israel’s march on the "Promise Land"(tm)

Quote: Umm did you miss that small part of the Bible called the New Testament?
All I can do, in the end, is pray for the world, but that seems futile, since
after seeing the state of the world (and reading Revelation) I know that
it is pointless to try and stop the evil in the world, God has to do that in His own time. I can help people when I can, and I do my best to do so, but I
will not kill everyone who doesn't believe in my God, because, unlike what you say, I would then, in truth, not become better than Bin Laden and Hitler,
as you said, but I will become just like them.
So why have an OT? I mean really why have the rules from Leviticus? (Where most Christians get them idea that homosexuality is wrong (Lev 19) not to mention tattoos and other things. so why is the OT even considered to be part of the "holy book" if you are just gonna disregard what it teaches?

You can't pick and chose what rules you want to follow and what rules you want to ignore but all Christians ignore some rules which is hypocarcy

Last edited by Lunar Shadow : 03-20-2006 at 12:53 AM.