Thread: Book of Mormon
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #68
Luke4488
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Like Sincirr, Im not here to peeve people off. Just trying to help out and show u what I believe and y I believe it. I dont have all the answers, but i will try.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) You are contradicting yourself in your own post. You say Satan is evil (which, yes, he is) and then you say he wanted to be like God. God is not evil. He is not on earth. He has evil sprits that come to earth to convince people to do wrong, just like God has people here to teach about him. If Satan is on earth, God is too.

I apologize, I guess I didnt explain myself very well. What I meant was that Satan wanted to rule heaven like God, not do good things. He wanted power.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) So WHERE is it. By sounds of things, it is just a thought that people have. If it is indeed a place, you can go there. Also, we don't know WHERE Kolob is. There are many galaxies in this universe. Astronomers have proved it. We can't even get out of a small area of our own galaxy.

No one knows exactly where heaven is. Im not positive, but I really doubt that it is on some planet, because, like I said, Jesus says that no one gets to the Father, except through Him. So if it was on another planet we could travel there without having to believe in Jesus, although I do understand that we cant get out of our little galaxy. But the possibility remains. Also, after the Rapture and the Tribulation and Armageddon, God is going to create a new heaven and a new earth where God's people will spend eternity

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) If religions can't be tied together, or have similarities, every sect of Christianity is therefore completly different, as from Catholics, Muslims, Jews, and all others which are Monothestic are all based on different foundings.

They do have some similarities but they cannot be tied together into one religion, there would have to be too many compromises. God doesnt compromise.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) What about when God appeared to Moses after being let out of bondage in Egypt, and then on the next page where it says that no man has seen God?

He didnt see God, he saw the Will of God, and it appeared to him in the form of a burning bush.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) BIBLICAL TEACHING OF MEN BECOMING LIKE GOD: Here is a writing I found by W. John Walsh. No, he is not the John Walse that is the host of America's Most Wanted. PLEASE READ. This is completly written by him.

First, you need to read the rest of Genesis chapter 3. In Genesis 3:22, it states "And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil... ". Therefore, as the Lord himself says, Satan told Eve a half-truth. The Adversary lied when he said that Eve would "not surely die", but he told the truth when he said that she would become "like God, knowing good and evil."

To spread the false notion that Latter-day Saints do not show proper reverence towards the Godhead, anti-Mormons often tell people that Latter-day Saints believe that they will become co-equal, or on the same level, with God and no longer worship him. This misrepresentation is a twisting of an LDS doctrine called exaltation, a doctrine which the Bible clearly teaches.

Latter-day Saints believe our Heavenly Father has given us this mortal life to become more like him. Those who are true and faithful in all things will sit in the throne of Christ. (Rev 3:21) They will have the name of God the Father placed upon them (Rev 14:1) We believe that they shall be "heirs of God, and joint-heirs of Christ" (Rom 8:17). What shall the faithful inherit? ALL THINGS according to scripture (Heb 1:2) (See Heirs of God and Joint-Heirs with Christ)

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

"For I [am] the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I [am] holy." (Leviticus 11:45)

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2)

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." (John 14:12)

We call anyone who sits in the throne of God, has God's name and attributes, and who has inherited all things (i.e. - power, dominion, knowledge) from God-----a god.

Hence the scripture, "God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods....I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." Psalms (82:1,6)

While we believe that the faithful will enjoy a life similar to our Heavenly Father, we also believe we will still be subject to and worship the God of Heaven, which is represented as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Furthermore, while we will be "gods, even the sons of God" (D&C 76:58), we will never be at the same level as them or stop worshipping them, but we will be like them and enjoy a quality of life similar to theirs.

but if you take notice, many of those verses were cut short and if it wasnt cut off it was only one verse, plus, none of them say we will become gods, if God wanted it to be possible to become gods, wouldnt he have wrote that in the Bible very clearly, so there would be no confusion? Those verses dont mean we will become gods, you have to read more than a verse or two, PLEASE. W. John Walsh didnt read the whole context to get the whole picture. My sunday school teacher has a good phrase for people who take things out of context. It is kind of funny, it goes something like this: If u want to take things out of context and try to make the Bible say what u want it to say, try this, the Bible says 'and then Judas hung himself' and later in the Bible it says 'go and do likewise'. Please dont take that literal, and please dont take offense, its just a humorous example of what people do.