View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Hacker/Virus attack - MUST READ

Homeland Security late last night said that the US government warned that a big Internet attack against thousands of web sites was on the loose. [Read More]

Basically instead of releasing a a worm that spreads through the internet through unpatched machines, they have derived a worm that will instead attack the Internet Information Server (IIS) and attach itself onto web servers. That way when you go to a website you will download it to your machine, bypassing most firewalls. One thing you need to keep in mind, when you go to a website, any website, the site does not load up off ther server. In fact you DOWNLOAD that entire page and then your machine will pop it up on your browser. Process takes so little time, that one does not notice. Since this does not directly affect home PCs, NO PATCH will be released for the consumer to install. Instead this will all be done on the servers side.

If you don't have an Anti-Virus or Firewall, get them NOW. I recommend these free ones.
- Grisoft - AVG Anti Virus
- Zonelabs Zone Alarm

If you already own professional versions, (i.e. ~ McAfee, Norton) then you do not need these. If you dont have ANY, then these are mandatory downloads. These programs work the exact same way as thier corporate brothers, expect the GUI is not as pretty. These companies do have paid programs, but all you need are the FREE version.

"I'm technologically inclined" - that bullshit excuse doesnt fly with me and it will not fly here. Bottom line is, its free software, so the least your dumbass can do is learn to use the program. Only two ways out of this mess; 1) you do what I tell you to or 2) you never turn your machine on again.