Thread: The band "Yes"
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Hehehe, well, I'm old, and they are one of my all-time favorite bands. I was absolutely obsessed with them in high school and college. I have seen them (back in the day and even more recently) about six or seven times. Close to the Edge is a great album, along with Fragile. I also have Tales of Topographic Oceans and just about everything they put out up through Tormato (1978, I believe). They are one of the bands that helped me open my mind a little bit more when it came to music.

Dek, The Yes Album also is worth getting. I didn't really get into the Trevor Rabin era (1980s), as I thought they changed their sound a little too much for my liking. I still listen to them regularly and despite their advancing years, they are kick-ass live. Jon Anderson still manages to hit some of those higher notes, though I'm sure they tune down a little bit to help him out. There is a 35th anniversary DVD that has a lot of interview footage where the band discusses a lot of their history. It's worth getting if you want to learn more about them.

Also, their cover art was really cool. I used to pore over the art for hours while listening to the music. That's what I miss about vinyl, the cool art. CDs are just too small to really appreciate the artwork.