View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #65
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Most in U.S. Favor Death if Saddam Is Convicted

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) There is a difference in being against the death penalty and defending the acts of criminals/murderers/dictators, Chase, but it's a fine line and you've yet to show subtlety on these boards

You remind me a lot of the old style westerns, where the good guy wore the white hat and the bad guy wore the black, probably the same movies that inspired Dubya's notion of 'you're either for us or against us'. Well, let me tell you, the world isn't black and white, there's a whole lot of grey around.

Oh and about the money that it costs to keep murderer's in jail, it costs the taxpayers more money if someone is sentenced to death, than to keep him in jail for the rest of their life, but I do not think money is really the issue. Showing people that killing is wrong by killing people is really stupid.

That's ludicrous. If someone showed up at a shopping mall and started a shooting spree killing everybody in sight... you would expect the police officers to not do anything to stop the guy? Nevertheless... if the Iraqi people don't want to keep this guy alive (for fear that he'll return to power), do they not have the right to execute the man responsible for the deaths of thousands upon thousands? This isn't the Hague... ruthless dictators want to go to the Hague because they know there's no way in Hell that they'll be executed there. Doesn't that say something?

There's no gray. Saddam Hussein brutalized an entire nation and his neighbors. This issue is clearly black and white. You either commit those crimes or you don't. Hussein was hardly acting in self defense when he order the attacks on innocent civilians. I think it's funny how you sit there and assume that I'm President Bush's number 1 fan simply because I disagree with the Dutch school of thought. If you know anything about foreign policy, you would know that Bush (as well as his predecessors) are liberal in that respect.