View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #63
Justify
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Most in U.S. Favor Death if Saddam Is Convicted

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) Interesting!

I want to get in the Christian part of the debate a bit.
Obviously as an atheïst, hell or heaven, doesn't matter to me, because the only downstairs were going to is five feet under or perhaps a 5 minute fire, that we both won't feel a thing off.
But from the Christian view I always understood someone could repent and convert in the last minute of his life, after a life of terrible misdeeds, say Saddam, and then enter the kingdom of heaven. While someone like Gandhi would go to hell because he did not believe in the Christian God. The American prisons are filled with murderers, who have found God, who are getting state-help going to heaven. Wouldn't it be better to punish them here for their crimes be keeping them locked up and not sending them to this paradisy thing called heaven?

Another thing, now with the news of the gospel of Judas?
Where is Judas? Heaven or hell?

This is not a very good argument. First of all, if you are right and there is no heaven or hell then I will never know any different after I die. But, if I am right and there is a heaven and a hell then you will know immediately after you die. To be an atheist you have to have faith that the earth and universe appeared from nothing. To be a Christian I have to have faith that God was always here. Either way we both have to have faith in what we believe.
You are correct that if a person accepts Jesus as their savior, even after they comment terrible crimes, that they will enter the kingdom of God. God has the power to forgive all sins. But just because God forgives does not mean that there are no consequences for our actions here on Earth. If a person is sentenced to death for a crime they committed then it is up to them to accept Jesus before it is too late. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow so it is left up to us to believe and have faith today. When God gave his laws to Moses he himself said "Eye for an Eye". This is part of God's law. Laws are put into place to deter people and to prevent anarchy. Thus the death penalty is a deterrent as well.

I don't personally know where Judas is. It depends on if Judas really believed Jesus was the Son of God and had faith that he could forgive all sins. Only God knows our hearts.
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light