Thread: best chorus?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
shadyogrady
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: best chorus?

OK, I must chime in. The thought of Creed and guitar solo in the same sentence blows me away. That's what I hate most about post Hair band of the 80's music. Listen to any Van Halen album and you'll hear a guitar solo in every song. I've yet to hear a Tremonti guitar solo on any of their studio albums, and of the 6 live recordings I have; he's yet to play one.

Creed is great at what they do and the type of music they play. Each CD has it own unique qualities to admire. I think Human Clay was the best and MOP second. When speaking of musical progression and how bands change over time, they often disappoint old fans and appeal to new ones. Take Queensryche for example; their first five albums were very progressive with high screaming vocals then came Promise Land which wasn't bad but was definitely moving in a different direction. Everything after that had poor sales album and the fan base diminished.

Another example is Metallica. Compare Kill'em all or Ride the Lightening to Load or Reload. Completely different with a distinct progression. Not that its bad but with music progression you lose and gain fan base.

I tend to liken Creed to 3 Doors Down, in that their guitar rifts and vocal melodies aren't very dramatic in range but are extremely creative in that realm. I would love to hear Tremonti break out a guitar solo similar to Eddie Van Halen, Steve Lukather of Toto, George Lynch of Dokken, Neil Schon of Journey, or Randy Rhodes of Ozzy. I'm just not convinced he has the capability to be that kind of guitarist or have the creativeness to put one flat square in the middle of a song. He's good at what he does but guitar solo's don't seem to be his forte.

I have a few live recordings from this year’s mini tour and I like what I hear in regards to the new material. The lyrical depth and chorus structure seems to fit with songs across all three albums. I do think they have progressed musically though. Creed is one of my favorite post 80's and Grunge era bands of all time. I'm extremely excited to hear the new album and have hopes to see them on the second U.S. tour leg. Time will tell for both. Ten days and counting.

Shady