View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I'll be there, too...Still working on what time I'm getting there, though, it will be early I'm sure.

Mr. TN, that's cool that you are making a week of it...I live in Philly and there is lots to do. If you are into museums, there are plenty, including the Art Museum, which includes the famous Rocky steps. People run up and down them the way Stallone did in the movie. It's hilarious to watch. The art museum is really cool, though.

There also is the historic district, which includes Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Be prepared to be searched, though. Ever since 9/11 there is a new procedure. You have to go the visitor's center across from the Liberty Bell to get tickets (I think it's free, though, you just have to have the tickets). The visitor's center also is a cool building in its own right. It just opened last year and earlier this year it displayed one of the original copies of the Magna Carta. Not sure if it's still there, though.

There also is tons of shopping especially on Walnut and Chestnut Streets. Those two streets are full of shops and chain stores.

Also, there is the New Jersey State Aquarium, which is just over the bridge into Camden. I'm not sure if they are still running the ferry that you can pick up at Penns Landing. It's quick (about 10 minutes) and a lot easier traffic-wise than driving. It's a decent-size aquarium.

Also, South Street is fun just to people-watch, eat and shop. There are some unusual stores there. A very good used bookstore whose name escapes me at the moment. I can find out though.

If you like sporting events, the Sixers and Flyers might be in town. I can check their schedules to see if they will be playing at home next week.

If you like walking, bike riding or rollerblading, you can do this along a four-mile paved stretch along Kelly Drive, which hugs the Schuylkill River. It's near the art museum and it's quite a nice ride/walk.

I hope that helps. The hotel probably will have some info, too.