Thread: Black music
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #67
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Learning to let go is much easier coming from a white person as white people are in the majority. No one is trying to minimize the hurt that comes with racial slurs. And for black people, it was more than being called names, and it wasn't all that long ago. People were killed and persecuted because of the color of their skin. There are people alive today who lost family members because of the color of their skin and the violence that erupted from race wars in the 60s. Rodney King and the L.A. riots were a little over a decade ago. Racism, unfortunately, is alive and well in America.

Living in the past won't fix the future however (in my opinion). People who demand things based upon the fact that their ancestors were slaves are not helping the situation. The other thing is the stereotypical view of slavery. Slavery does not solely equate to white owners and black slaves. Slavery has existed all throughout history. I can't quote exact sources at the moment (I haven't taken a history course for over 3 years - I could do the research and quote sources if you really want me to), but African people enslaved other Africans all throughout their history. Conquerers all throughout Europe and Asia enslaved other races of people as well.

As I started this point - living in the past will not solve the problem of racism in our future.

(again, this is my opinion)

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"