View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
Creed_zakon
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Something about me , music , Creed , Pearl Jam ... MUST READ 4 everyone here

I wrote big post so here it is in 4 pieces cause the board can take up to 10000 characters and the my post is more than 35000.

1st PART

Hi fellow Creed fans ...... once upon a time i was one of you ......
Now i want to tell you the true Creed story and also why i am not a fan anymore ......
It goes like this and its gonna be a huge story so are you ready ? ... ok :
I listen to rock music ...... my favourite classic rock bands/performers are :
Jimi Hendrix ,The Doors , Rolling Stones , Deep Purple , Bob Dylan , Bruce Springsteen , Led Zeppelin , The Who , Pink Floyd , Neil Young etc .
I also love these bands that continued their roots :
Seattle bands from late '80s and early '90s : Mother Love Bone , Nirvana , Soundgarden , Pearl Jam , Alice In Chains , Temple Of The Dog , Mad Season . Also U2 , G'n'R , Radiohead , Goo Goo Dolls , Oasis , Foo Fighters(with Nirvana's Dave Grohl) , Red Hot Chili Peppers , R.E.M. , Dave Mathews Band , Live , Beck , Lenny Krawitz , and the bands from the mid and late '90s like : Queens of The Stone Age , Bush , Silverchair , Incubus , Coldplay , Lifehouse , Creed , 3 Doors Down , The Doves , The Vines etc.
Like i said i like all these bands .
You see all these bands ... some of them were some of them still are great rock bands .
Loving a band and being a fan is not the same . A "FAN" i think i can define this word : a "FAN" is someone who loves the band and its members not only about the music , also about other things like their personality , their agenda , their creativity ... i am a fan of a few bands and when i am talking about them i am so proud , cause there is nothing that can make me feel embaressed when someone will mention them . So i am a fan of these bands : Pearl Jam(the most) , Soundgarden , Nirvana ...... now i am gonna tell you and explain why ...... Through the 80s the most popular was the metal scene which i didn't like so much with some exceptions and also i read a lot of articles about that "Groupie thing" which was so popular and almost every band at that time was involved in some non-music scandals with groupies and so ... it seemed that the most important thing for them was sex and the real rock fans were not feling good about that . Then late 80s and early 90s Soundgarden , Nirvana , Pearl Jam , and Alice In Chains were the new bands that came out and brought something new to the rock scene that time . They were singing songs about real life ...... the media machine put them all in 1 bag and called them Grunge cause they were all coming from Seattle ...... you have to have at least a little inteligence and music knowledge to realise that Soundgarden and Alice In Chains had metal roots and Nirvana and Pearl Jam had rock roots ......
Why is Nirvana so big today and why Pearl Jam is still working but is not popular ...... i am gonna make it clear this for all of you cause i want you to learn something ............
Kurt Cobain ... so talented guy , great song writer , good lyricist ...... everything that is needed to be succesful in the world of rock music , you just have to have a little luck. So after releasing Bleach i think you remember that Nirvana was not so popular and didn't get many fans . But Nevermind was something very very different . When 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' came out i believe that every rock fan got chills in that time . It was something new , something different but also something great that you could feel it in the air ...... After 'Nevermind' Nirvana was a great band and also very popular and big in the whole world .
1990 , Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament(former members of Mother Love Bone whose singer Andy Wood died of Heroin overdose) are looking for a singer for their future band cause it was all over with Mother Love Bone. Stone Gossard wrote a lot of the music in the previous bands that he played . At some party he met Mike McCready who already played in some local bands . Stone was amazed of his soloing and guitar skills and asked him if he wants to join in his new band . Mike accepted . So they recorded a demo tape with 3 instrumental songs without lyrics . Jack Irons(former RHCP drummer) friend of Stone took that demo tape and gave it to a guy named Eddie Vedder . Actually Eddie was a member of Bad Radio local San Diego band but they split up cause of the differences between band members . Jack Irons met him while RHCP had a gig there and Eddie was very interested to meet some of the members cause he was a great music fan . So Eddie got the tape and listened the music . He was a surfer so while surfing and after listening the music that was on the tape a lot of times one day the lyrics just clicked and he wrote them on a paper . That were Alive and Black . Went to his home , sang the lyrics over the music on the tape and send the tape back to Seattle . Stone and Jeff listened the tape and were amazed . Said to him to come in Seattle so they can start writing more material and maybe record an album. Eddie came in Seattle and the first song they performed together was Alive . Almost all the songs on TEN are Stone's music and Vedder's lyrics . Their first name was 'Mookie Blaylock' after the New Jersy Nets' playmaker. Later they changed their name to Pearl Jam(cause of Eddie's grand-grandmother Pearl and she was making a unique jam that everyone liked) and released their debut TEN. Pearl Jam didn't get popular overnight like Nirvana with "smells like teen spirit" , the popularuty was rising step by step as the people were listening to the album and recomending to friends and so on ... TEN has sold 11million copies up to date. Kurt thought that they were sell-outs and in it for the money and also "posers" . But I think that just came out his own insecurity. Pearl Jam proved that with the next album Vs. . With TEN PJ was so popular and so big and ofcourse got a lot of money . Eddie in the past was living poor life and all this popularity came in just 2 years and he was not feeling so good about that . If you want to be popular you must live with some things like : listening a lot of roumors that hurt bad , doing a lot of media stuff like a lot of interviews , the media treats you like garbage saying about you whatever they like and all that was to much for Eddie to handle and also for Pearl Jam . So they decided to pull back . With Vs. they made a record which sold more then 950000 copies in its first week and more than 7 millions up to date. So with every next album the popularity was going down .. Why ? Cause PJ decided to not record videos of suport for their albums . Eddie said that videos are ruining the picture that every fan should have about any song but that picture had to be different for everyone and videos sometimes are overplayed and it also ruins the music .
Also the only video with story , Jeremy which was telling a story about a boy that is killing himself in the end cause his parents didn't take care about him and his life so he lives in a world of his own. MTV decided not to play the video cause it was too ofensive , but Pearl Jam was only telling a story about how any of the kids out there can be just like Jeremy(which was a true story which Eddie read in a newspaper) .Eventhough PJ for Jeremy got 3 awards at Video Music Awards .
Why i also am proud of Pearl Jam ......... to many reasons but here they are :
i am sure you all heard about the Ticketmaster and how that works . Well Pearl Jam made a statement that they can't accept the ticket to be more than 20 dollars cause their average fanbase are teenagers , and 40 dollars for a kid is a lot of money. But the Ticketmaster didn't agree with the statement and Pearl Jam instead of accepting the Ticketmaster's deal they said they will try to handle with that by themselves . Stone and Jeff were in a court about this case but Ticketmaster won . So Pearl Jam respecting their fans they did all by themselves ... at first they must've play the venues that are not under Ticketmaster and that was very hard cause all the big venues and amphitheaters were under Ticketmaster . But Pearl Jam tried to hard , struggled and canceled the tour at the end cause Eddie was very sick and got a breakdown . Every ticket didn't cost more than 20$ for the tour in support for Vs. although they were still one of the most popular bands in the world in that time and they could charge much more .
Pearl Jam chosed this way , not the money . They chosed the music , they chosed their fans.

continue with the 2nd PIECE