View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
I don't have a cure for it...don't think there is one but if you are extremely allergic, you can get shots for it to lessen the chance of getting it. I am very allergic too and get it several times a summer. I don't even have to touch it directly, I get it from the cats and dogs when the oil from the plants get on their fur.

What helps me is...I put rubbing alcohol on it to help dry it up faster and then I use calamine lotion (it comes in clear now too) to help with the itching. If the itching gets too bad, you can put cold compresses on it. I find, for me anyway, when I'm warm, the itching is worst. If it gets too bad or you have it in very large areas, you can get treatment for your Dr.

My Dr. insists the stuff doesn't spread, but rather, keeps forming new patches if the oil wasn't washed off properly initially, but sometimes, I think it does spread..it seems to anyway.

Also, if you haven't washed the oil from the plant off your clothes or shoes, it can infect you much later if you touch that item again.

Hope some of this helps. I feel for you...that stuff itches like crazy...I just got over some myself and try to stay out of the wooded areas as much as I can to help avoid it.

Good Luck!