View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #67
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) this is absolutely nothing i was expecting from him...this is not rock, isnt a good balad!...Its extremely pop and consequently will play on the radio ton of times...is this his new musical direction? I hope not.

You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base. The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.

With that said, after having listened to it a couple times, I am enjoying "The Great Divide" and wish Scott the best of luck.