Thread: Creed's legacy?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #20
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Malevolence)
Well, really, looking back -- the early 90's was not very kind to the rock scene.

People SAY Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, other Seattle-rock bands were the revolution for rock. Also, we had rock/rap fusion -- which was like rap, except with rock riffs ... which was ok, but still ... sucky.

Rage Against the Machine was not sucky.

Quote: With bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden representing the rock and roll world... well.
That happens to be one of my favorite eras in music. I happen to dig the so-called depressive/discontented lyrics, and I didn't find their stuff droll or that obscure or obtuse. Also, being a big Alice In Chains fan, I find that the music of Jerry Cantrell and his influence on many of today's guitarists is completely ignored/unknown/dismissed.
Quote:
They established strong live shows instead of using gimmickly flam acts...

I like their live shows as far as the music goes, but I could have done without the gimmicks they did use, the pyrotechnics and such. I didn't see them in the early days when they probably didn't have that stuff. I found the Weathered tour to be lacking in some respects because they rarely changed the set lists...Bands like Pearl Jam, albeit they have a larger library from which to draw, change five or six songs sometimes. That makes every show somewhat different and takes away the choreographed feel that many of the Creed shows had. There was little room for improv, covers, or jamming, which can be really cool.

Quote: Creed MADE Wind Up. Without Wind Up, we wouldn't have bands like 12 Stones, Evanescence, and the like.

I'll give you that. But I think we could do without bands like Evanescence. I think they suck. I do like 12 Stones, though.