View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: The Great Divide vs. Alter Bridge

I wanted to like TGD, but it's impossible. I think Stapp's lyrics took a step down on this one and the whole thing feels like it was done just to satisfy a record contract. I don't know, I have tried to listen to it, but the music is boring for the most part. The only song that has any life for me is Justify. The rest of it sounds rehashed to me. I also don't think his voice sounds all that smooth anymore. It sounds rough and forced in some spots, especially on the songs where he's trying to reach notes.

For me, ODR is a much better album, music-wise, although it still gets only a B- from me. A few of the tracks sound very Creed-ish to me. I think the lyrics are fair at best, but I'm hoping that will change for the next album. I think Myles' musical contributions could blend in an interesting way with Mark's. They need to develop their unique sound.
I hope the record label gives them a little more creative control. I felt like some of the songs were made to satisfy the radio, which is never good, IMO.