View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The "Ken Jennings Memorial" Thread

All good things must come to an end. Today, another good thing ended. That being, Ken Jennings' championship reign on Jeopardy has come to an end after 75 days and $2,529,499, thus proving that the indistructable Ken Jennings is human afterall.

Ken was the longest running and highest winning Jeopardy contestant in history.
(On 7/8/04 he broke the world record for longest consecutive run on a TV game show, previously being 26 days; Set record for most money won on a game show on 11/03/04 (previously being $2,180,000 set by Kevin Olmstead on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire; Tied the record of $52,000 in one day many times, set by Brian Weikle on 04/11/03. He finally beat it with $75,000 on 7/23/04, to set a new record). He lost to Nancy Zerg, , a realtor from Ventura, California after getting the Final Jeopardy question wrong.

The answer was: Most of this company's 70,000 white-collar employees work only four months a year.
Ken's question: What is FedEx?
Nancy's question: What is H & R Block

After his loss, Ken commented: “Nancy was great... her timing was just right on,” said Jennings. “It was not a fluke. She knew things I didn’t know,” he continued. “I thought, Nancy, good for you, you totally deserve this.”

Nancy followed with: “It hasn’t sunk in. Ken is just so good!,” said new champion Zerg. “I think we both played well, but I got lucky with categories that I knew and he just happened to hit a couple of Daily Double clues that he didn’t know.” Zerg, a wife and mother, continued, “It took a good 15 minutes before I even realized that those points on the board were actually money!”

He got it wrong, she got it right. It is a sad day indeed.

Goodbye, Ken. And thank you.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"

Last edited by Higher_Desire : 12-01-2004 at 12:38 AM.