View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 12:32 AM   #30
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Defending my essay:

I didn't emphasize album sales over everything else. I simply stated that while many were disappointed in Weathered, the band obviously did something right because it sold very well. I do believe "matured" IS the proper word to describe that album. It was unlike their previous two efforts, and was quite varied, stretching Stapp and Tremonti in all sorts of directions musically. I did not mean to compare song names (Bullets and Lullaby), but styles within the same album. Because the band tried to please everyone with the album, there was some content that certain people did not like.

I don't understand some of you. Albums ARE made to make money. You don't see many bands touring repeatedly if they are not successful. They get dropped from the label, and do they continue to record and tour? No. They wake up to reality and do something that can make them a living. Don't kid yourself. When musicians write, they are writing for hits. Otherwise you would get 15 minute Tremonti songs with nothing but shredding. While this would make a select few happy, it would not be "popular" and sell records. Many of you have delusions of grandeur that "music" is all about music and nothing else. If you understand how the business world works at all, you will understand this. Especially all of you who hate Wind-Up...

Success is part sales and part the album being well received. However, these things usually go hand in hand. For an album to be "well received" it has to be out on the market in mass numbers. This equals good sales.

Also, I meant "sophomore slump" not as a bad album, but as their weakest album, musically, even though it sold well due to outstanding singles (which I noted as some of my favorite songs).

If you disagree with me, fine, but you need to look at this from all angles, not just yours.

AND! to clarify my critique of One Day Remains. I love the album. Myles is an outstanding singer (technically better than Stapp). There are many awesome songs. But, LOTS of people (esp. on ABBand.net) have hailed the album as "the savior of rock and roll" and "the greatest rock album of all time." Go look for yourself. I agree with you. It's a great, solid rock album today when there are a lot of crap bands out there.

And I play guitar and like solos, but there are a lot on this album. Solos are fun but don't *always* add to the song. Just look at The Darkness. They are great, but the solos are all for show. Every song on that album has a solo and it's rather annoying (although I love that album). At some point shredding gets to the point of the guitarist showing off...

Last edited by Hellboy : 09-29-2004 at 12:39 AM.