Thread: Legalize Drugs?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 09:05 AM   #25
Altair
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
Ok, perhaps I'm a bit more of a linear thinker, here, and pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question, but are you saying abstain from things like our music as well, which require a few material things to enjoy? In my case, I guess I need music in the true sense of the word.

Dogstar, I understand your point. I love music and really seem to need it, too. And, at my stage of life, I choose to have music. In fact, I'll use the term "need" lightly here by saying I need music because I want it.

However, on a more idealistic side, I know, in my heart, I or you, do not absolutely need music. We can both learn to live, survive, and even prosper without music, even as ludicrous at that sounds. One has to believe that they can be fullfilled in this life simply by the moment to moment experience and whatever that experience encompasses, music or not, drugs or not; just the breath of life, the flowing of this living river, so to speak.

I really like these lyrics by Bono and think they fit this discussion. They come from the song "Kite" and go like this...
"I want you to know
that you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
you don't need anyone
or anything at all"

interestingly, he explores these ideas in the song "Walk On"...

"An love is not the easy thing,
the only baggage that you can bring,
is all that you can't leave behind...
leave it behind,
you've got to leave it behind,
all that you fashion,
all that you make,
all that you build,
all that you break,
all that you measure,
all that you steal,
all this you can leave behind,
all that you reason,
all that you sense,
all that you speak,
all you dress up,
all that you scheme..."

Uh, perhaps there is one exception. We do need each other. It's the only thing that makes this emptiness bareable.

—The Bhagavad Gita