View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
interview with mark on AB and chicago

http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/...p04/262693.asp
those first few headlines particulary mark taking a stab at creed's music is a load of crap but he talks further about chicago which i am glad about for my information. mark never bashes creed's music in this article and i doubt he would so this writer is merely trying to stir trouble. anyhow...

Alter Bridge's guitarist is going by his own creed
By NATHAN LICHTMAN
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Sept. 29, 2004
Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti isn't pulling any punches.

Alter Bridge

The ex-Creed guitarist is still fuming at his former band mate Scott Stapp over an incident at a concert in Chicago, and he's even taking stabs at the platinum-selling music the group once made.

As cold as he may feel toward Creed and Stapp, Tremonti is enthusiastic about his new group, Alter Bridge. The quartet, featuring former Creed members Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall as well as former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy, already is making an impact on the charts with its album, "One Day Remains."

Alter Bridge's hard-driving rock sound may not be far removed from Creed's, but the songs wander and explore possibilities Creed didn't. Kennedy's vocals breathe life into Tremonti's brooding thrash of guitar tones.

The group's tour stops at the Rave on Saturday night. In advance of the show, Tremonti spoke by phone from his home in Florida.

Q. How has Myles adjusted to his role? You wrote a bulk of the lyrics on "One Day Remains." Is he OK singing your lines?
A. A lot of the songs he easily relates to. "In Loving Memory" is a song about my mother. He had lost his father growing up, so he just kind of thinks about his own personal issues that he's had when he sings the songs. He's very good at it.

Q. Do you worry that fans will consider you Creed with a new singer? Or is that part of what you were going for?
A. No, not at all. "Open Your Eyes" was the song we picked as our first single to kind of bridge the gap between our past and our future, to let all the Creed fans who appreciated us before ease their way into this band. Once people hear this album they will definitely know this is not Creed.

Q. Scott Stapp has said there was no tension with the breakup of Creed. Is that true?
A. Well, we didn't really talk too much toward the end. We'd be on tour, but we'd be in different rooms, or if we were on the same bus, we wouldn't really spend a lot of time together. I think it was a lack of communication and a lack of a common goal. We would do soundcheck, and I love to write songs at soundcheck, and Scott didn't come to a soundcheck the whole last year of touring.

Q. A lot of people are still confused about the infamous Creed concert in Chicago where Scott Stapp was allegedly incapacitated. . . . What really happened?
A. I had my family there. I had a room where I would warm up, and Scott had his own room where he would watch TV or relax. And I remember when we were about to go on stage running into Scott and noticing that he wasn't in the right frame of mind. It was 15 minutes before the show. We couldn't cancel it because there would be a riot.

Scott swore he could do it, so we did it, and about six songs through he walked offstage. I ran after him to see what he was up to and told him to get back onstage, and he said, "Oh, I thought the show was over." I'm sitting there thinking, "What in the world is going on?"

We finished the set, but he sang wrong lyrics in different songs. It was a nightmare. My entire family was there. It was a bad thing, and me and Scott never really got to the bottom of that situation. I thought I deserved a little more respect. That was one of the main reasons we've had the problems we've had.

Q. Do you see the possibility of reuniting with Scott Stapp and Creed?
A. No. When this band is over, I'm over. This is it. The day we go back to Creed is the day we failed with this new band. Going back to Creed would be like crawling back with your tail between your legs. We took this step as men and we're going to complete it as men.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie