View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Hamas sweeps to election victory

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) I'm really not too worried about this. I suppose this will put the theory to test that, once terrorist organizations and other disenfranchised minority groups are able to participate in government, they become significantly less radical. I suppose my only fear is that, since Hamas, rather than Fatah, leads the government, and has no need to form a coalition, they may possibly implement anti-Israeli policies that significantly contrast those under Fatah's leader, Mahmoud Abbas. Israel, likewise, should not turn away from the progress of the past year, because that would give Hamas only more cause to revert and resort to violence as a means of trying to get what they want (although this actually usually causes Israel to clamp down even harder).

You know, since Yaser Arafat died... Hamas has mellowed down a bit. I think they're also getting tired of the violence, and with Ariel Sharon in a coma, Israel is going to have a change in leadership. I'm not worried about Hamas... but I'm afraid of Iran trying to persuade them to carry out more suicide missions against innocent Israelis.