View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) Did the article say that Christians suffered no harassment? No it said that it is more socially acceptable to poke at Atheism than religion you really need to READ the article
Perhaps you really need to READ the last statement there. Growing up, I was
pressured into denying my christianity out of fear of being a reject. I know
that many other Christians feel the same way. I don't understand how a class
full of young people -who will say something like "why? are you religious?" if I ask them to watch their language- is a minority.

Quote: and paradoxes are not scientific there is a phsyical reason for everything science seeks that. There is no scientific evidence for a god or a creator of any sort

hmm, paradoxes are not scientific? That's interesting seeing as how paradoxes are flaws in thought and theories, which exist. For example,
a theory that one could kill himself by going back in time to kill his (young) grandfather so that his father is never born can be disproved by showing
that the man or women who went back in time to kill his/her grandfather,
never being born, could never have gone back in time to kill his/her grandfather.

Quote: You really need to read up on ethics and morals of Atheism to understand how this can be (see Richard Carrier)

Maybe. you need to read up on Shaeffer.

Quote: umm dud I hate to break it to you but Hitler, Bin Laden, and Husein all believe(d) in a god so therefore they are not godless...
Hitler was fundamentally an athiest who basically believed in "survival of the fittest",
thus the nazi army and WW2. Any 'god' he may have believed in, I do not beleive in.

Second, if you would read the second half the statement you just quoted, you would see my response to your Bin Laden and Husein argument.

Quote: you obviously don't know who your god is though READ THE OT and tell me that your god isn't a violent, wrathful, childish, god

I know my OT, thank you very much, and I don't see a violent, childish god at all. I see a God who is God, who created the universe and everything in it,
I see a Holy God who has done nothing wrong, as He is incapible of sinning, I see a just God who acts in wrath, only in answer to the laws He gave being broken. I see mankind as a fallen, sinful race who has no place nor right to judge God, just as the criminal on trial has no place to judge or accuse the
(in this case perfect and blameless) judge.

Quote: Oh but wait if you were to follow the bible you would be first in line to restart the Spanish inquisitors
The bible advocated killing:

Gays
Disobedient children
Women who are rapped
Women who are pregnant
Some one who doesn't attend church?
Children of non-believers

You left out

Persons guilty of incest
Nations who were not Isreal
Certain members of Isreal
and (at least) two priests of Isreal, whom God killed Himself

Gays, yes, in the nation of Isreal, because they have polluted God's Holy name by their sin.

Show me where is says to kill raped women, I can't seem to recal that part.

^Same thing with pregnangt women.

Someone who does not attend church?! Where is that at?

Children of non believers? What? I'll need a reference as I seem to have missed/ forgotten that part, also.

Quote: The list goes on so why don't you pick up arm and kill every one who doesn’t believe in YOU god? Otherwise you are just as bad as the sinner for allowing these things to happen over and over again.

Umm did you miss that small part of the Bible called the New Testament?
All I can do, in the end, is pray for the world, but that seems futile, since
after seeing the state of the world (and reading Revelation) I know that
it is pointless to try and stop the evil in the world, God has to do that in His own time. I can help people when I can, and I do my best to do so, but I
will not kill everyone who doesn't believe in my God, because, unlike what you say, I would then, in truth, not become better than Bin Laden and Hitler,
as you said, but I will become just like them.