View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #33
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) what you've said there at the end adds up and i'll give you that but the rest just doesn't do it for me at all. so a "burning in your bosom" will tell the truth? what if i have a burning in my bosom to go and rob a bank? to become a muslim?
You have to know if the feeling is coming from God or Satan. Absolutely people have said that the feeling they got was from God, especially things like killing other people, but society has a set of rules and guidelines (ie, laws) that tell us what is morally acceptable as right or wrong, and religion is deemed as right so long as it stays within the contexts of national law. If things are right, you can feel they are right.

So what about the Muslim extremists (suicide bombers) who say what they're doing is right? They claim that what they are doing is right because they are killing for God (Allah). Now by what we as Christians believe, they'd go to hell because we're not supposed to kill. But they think they're going to heaven. It's God's judgement. Not ours.

So do you mean to tell me that you've never had a feeling that the Bible was true based solely on what you've read in it or your faith in it? If you did have that feeling, how did you know where it came from?
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) the bible generally is against making decisions on feelings and the love throughout the bible for instance is more of a decision based upon actions, rather than warm and fuzzy feelings (although they're excluded). what makes the burning of your bosom any more legimate than anyone elses? feelings are totally subjective and can't be tested for any evidence.
What do you mean we're not supposed to make decisions based on feeling? I agree it's not the only reason to do or not to do something. Here's an example. Jesus taught in parables and taught that people should follow him. They followed him by what they felt. Parables are not literal statements about things that happened. In Matthew 13:10-17, the deciples ask Jesus why he speaks in parables. Jesus' basic answer is so people can draw their own conclusions. I want you to go read it, and tell me what you think of it. Especially verse 15. (See with their eyes, hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts.) How are we supposed to draw our own conclusions if we don't have some type of feeling?
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) at least the belief in God is a rational decision because life without some form of higher power i'm sure you would agree is laughable.
Is belief in God a rational decision? Not everyone believes in God or the Bible. There are still many people who believe in evolution and that there is no higher power. A good friend of mine named Jay is an athiest, so is he going to hell? Can he go to hell if he doesn't believe in hell?
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) so if the book of mormon adds to a mormon's spirtual walk isn't the bible sufficient for that? doesn't the bible claim to the inspired word of god and sufficient for all teaching? is a mormon without the book of mormon or who doesn't recongise its authority worse off or even a true mormon?
It's not that the bible isn't sufficient, by all means it is believed to be the most correct of any book on earth, but remember, the bible is not complete. There were books left out if the Bible, for example the Macabees and the book of Jasher to name a couple. The bible, though very right, is not 100% correct and void of holes.
A Mormon without the BoM or recognize it's authority? What do you mean by that? All Mormons have the BoM, and if they don't recognize an authority, they wouldn't be a member.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"