View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Good Side of Scott Stapp

Found this on Jim Abbott's blog. He's the Creed/Stapp hater that writes for the Orlando Sentinel....

The good side of Scott Stapp
Hey, I've gotten a lot of mileage making fun of Scott Stapp, but I'm not an ogre. So in the spirit of fair play, he's a lovely observation about the singer who doesn't seem to get many lovely observations. From the mailbag:

Dear Jim,
I thought your article on the Scott Stapp “home opener” was an accurate account of that performance. I thought you might be interested, however, in hearing about something that didn’t happen onstage that night.

About 30 minutes before Stapp took the stage at Hard Rock Live, I met with him personally backstage to accept a sizeable charitable donation from his Scott Stapp Foundation. He related a few stories of growing up in Orlando,and of how his mother sometimes struggled to put food on the table. Then he handed me an envelope that contained enough financial resources to allow Second Harvest Food Bank to provide 80,000 meals for children living in poverty in Central Florida.

Our organization can turn one dollar into 4 meals, so you can do the math. Our Food Bank has been fortunate enough to receive similar gifts from generous performers such as Bruce Springsteen, Shania Twain, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, Stephen Stills and others with tour stops in Orlando.

To date, however, Stapp’s gift was the most generous of all. He has plans to make other donations to local food banks (perhaps not quite as much as he did in his hometown!) in each city his tour visits. Having had a chance to look into his eyes and shake the bandaged hand you wrote about, I can tell you that this was no publicity stunt. It was an act of kindness from someone who wanted to help others. All things considered, his publicist probably should have tried to splash the Foundation gift a bit more given his personal struggle in the past few weeks. Just thought you might be interested in that “postscript.” Keep up the good work!

Greg Higgerson
Development Director
Second Harvest Food Bank of
Central Florida
2008 Brengle Avenue
Orlando, FL 32808
407-295-1066, ext. 25
407-295-5299 fax
[email protected]