View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #28
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) The TEXTS were not changed. The way the texts were PREACHED and the practices of the people were what changed and corrupted early churches. That's what Martin Luther was rebelling against way back when and led the reformation for into Lutheranism. Than he began to set it back to how it was. That's kind of the same as what happened with Joseph Smith.

Yeah. That's what I told you.

Like I said before, we don't know exactly what they said. That's why there's so much controversy among opposing sides. It's a matter of faith.

What do you mean "christian bible"? The bible is the bible. Sure there's different translations, like the King James, New King James, New International, New Revised Standard, Good News, and all the countless others, but they're used in many religions. I don't think I understand what you're saying in the second half. Mormons use the Bible just like the Book of Mormon; they're companions to each other. There are parallels between them and support each other. As for the Bible supporting claims that the BoM is false... in any situation, you can find ways to make anything match your view. Sure there may be some contridictory things, but there's supportive things too. The bible says different things in different areas that contradict itself, so are we to believe that the Bible is therefore false? I don't think so. Just as the Bible was written by different people (aka Prophets), so was the Book of Mormon.

Let me ask you this... Are you afraid to die AND do you want to die? Just becuase you're not afraid doesn't mean your going to go out looking to get shot. If someone a group of people came yelling at you with guns, wouldn't you do something to protect yourself? Paul and Peter weren't afraid of dying, but do you seriously think they were wanting or wishing to die?

Yeah. Once again, not everyone who had more than one wife was doing for "the right reason" as commanded by God. Just like now, there's guys in many countries, including America, that have more than one wife. Does that mean they're doing it in the same way as everyone else? And, there are opposing views on every topic.

Look, remember that we're talking here about three very different times. Around 35 A.D. (after Christ's death), 1800s A.D. (Joseph Smith's time) and 2000s A.D. (our time). Things aren't going to be exactly the same all the way throughout; word-for-word, letter-for-letter, number-for-number. If it was the same, we'd be living in a cave somewhere still amazed with these wonderful new inventions of fire and wheels.
God changes things. His laws change. For example; the Law of Moses, which included offering burnt sacrifices to the Lord. After the crusixion of Christ, that was done away with because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, the most perfect lamb, and no sacrifice could match up. So because one great thing happened, the law was changed.

Do you understand?

H-D

i understand fully what you are saying but i do not see the mormonism is a return to truth like luther, calvin and others were for their day. luther and his contempories were rebelling against the catholic church and how tradition had become more important than what the scriptures say. they did not add new doctrines like joseph smith so clearly did. furthermore the new testament instructs us to test all spirits and prophets. how is one supposed to test smith when we can't translate the language fully? it is impossible to verify the truth or otherwise of his sayings other than on blind faith.

the bible never instructs blind faith and reasoning is certainly not excluded from faith and quite the opposite in fact. if smith was so sure of the truth of what he said he shouldn't have acted in the way he did. have a look at christ when he rebuked peter for cutting the ear off a soldier and how he had no fear before pilate or as the roman soliders spat on him and treated him like a dog. why do we need a secondary authority like the book of mormon when 2 timothy 3:16 saids that all scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking......and revelation instructs not to add or take away from the holy scriptures and this is added instruction?

anyhow see ya round and have a good new years.....
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie