View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 06:11 PM   #38
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: cīmon... wgmb, my sacrifice, weathered, bullets, one last breath... they are all perfec lyrically... shwm and hide are pretty good too, dsd inspires lots of people, ff as well...

The lyrics in weathered are very repetitive compared to their other two albums. I found many of the songs to just lack the depth they deserved.

You never saw a lyrically-intense or poetic song like My Own Prison on the latest album... Or even the incredibly potent and vivid lyrics found in What If or the epic story-telling in Faceless man.

For me, Weathered was mostly about melody and crunching riffs. Both are great, but unless they are backed up with some variety and some profound and intricate lyrical content, they largely fall flat. What annoys me is that I know Weathered had INCREDIBLE potential! If they would have spent a year reworking and rewriting lyrics, and experimenting with new types of sounds... argh... it would have been awesome.

Now, I'm not saying Weathered is bad... it's just not what Creed is capable of, and it tiptoed along the edges of pop-rock just a little bit too much for my taste.

For the next album, I say spend a year or two at least and experiment like crazy. Return to making songs intricate and artistic instead of just sounding good.
By the words of men who have no ground

Can't sleep beneath the trees of wisdom
When your axe has cut the roots that feed them
Forked tongues in bitter mouths
Can drive a man to bleed from inside out

- "What If", Creed