View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #20
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) It was a cultural practice. People had been trying to form laws against it for many years prior.

Well, God created all. Satan is referred to as "The Fallen Angel". He must have fallen from something, right? If God is the God of all, he must be over EVERYTHING.

Not quite. The Book of Mormon states that "the skin of their enemys were darkened." There is also anthropological evidence of warriors painting their bodies with dark black and brown paints when they went into battle. Also, it is shown that their skin was in ways permanently colored from the pigments of the paints. This could be the same thing that happened in this case.

True dat, but I can't even get ONE woman. I don't think there should be guys who take more away from me.

In the Bible, we read of people who practiced polygimy. We also read of "concubines." Concubines were not nececessarily prostitutes or whores, but WERE additional women in relationships. In each of these cases, men took more than one woman as wives to build the kingdom of God. This was the same thing that happened with some Mormon peoples in the 1800s. When an angel appeared to Joseph Smith requireing hem to do it, he refused. The angel eventually threatened him that if he did not obey the commandment from the Lord, he would be cut off from the work. It also took urging from his wife, Emma Hale-Smith, that he needed to do what the Lord asked. He eventually agreed. (You can read about this in some books about Joseph Smith.) Brigham Young also had more than one wife. So did Parley P. Pratt. So did many others, but in each case, it was only for a short time, and only to those commanded. It was NEVER commanded that everyone do it, and it has been and is still believed that marriage is "the sacred union between one man and one woman."

H-D

this is not the faith and religion section but i'm happy to have a friendly debate on the subject. joseph smith had 40 wives whilst brigham young had 60 wives. so the founder and great prophet of this religion had between them 100 wives!

no where in the scriptures does it state or even hint that jesus and satan were somehow biologically linked or via some quasi-spirtual state. it saids that satan or lucifer was the highest of the archangels and he led a rebellion and a third of the angels went with him. no where is there a 3rd class and that third class become black people is downright racist. there is really no-one such as races according to biologists and many "black" people would be closer to genetically to me than my white "cousins". it simply doesn't stand up to the scientific evidence availiable to us in modern science.

yes its true that concubines were a common occurence particulary with men like solomon but it was never a commandment and in fact it goes directly against "one man and one woman" like you stated from adam and eve. this mormon theology then goes directly against scripture.

talking about scripture mormonism i understand teaches that scriptures were lost and changed and joseph smith was to reverse this and teach truth. the only problem here is that we have new testament manuscripts from the 2nd century A.D and old testament writings from very early on and its clear that changes were not made, at least those affecting doctrine.

another problem i have with mormonism is that in the book of abraham joseph smith apparently interpreted some egyptian hierogryphics (sp) and stated it was to do with abraham. this was all well and good until modern archologists and anthropologists can state categorically that these describe embalming procedures and i believe joseph smith was a false prophet. we all have our beliefs and you're unlikely to change because of what i've stated here but i believe christianity is the one true religion and fits the evidence best, whilst mormonism has big gaping holes in theology, science and the like.

anyhow good talking to ya......
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie

Last edited by aussiecreeder : 12-28-2004 at 09:24 PM.