View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #19
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) 15a.who else was doing it?
It was a cultural practice. People had been trying to form laws against it for many years prior.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) as far as i know the mormons are the only christian sect who believe we become gods and that jesus and satan were once brothers,
Well, God created all. Satan is referred to as "The Fallen Angel". He must have fallen from something, right? If God is the God of all, he must be over EVERYTHING.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) and that dark people come from the third of angels who didn't fight valiantly enough.
Not quite. The Book of Mormon states that "the skin of their enemys were darkened." There is also anthropological evidence of warriors painting their bodies with dark black and brown paints when they went into battle. Also, it is shown that their skin was in ways permanently colored from the pigments of the paints. This could be the same thing that happened in this case.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) 15b.i don't believe its still practised but i'm convinced it would be if it was legal. after all what man wouldn't have more than one if he could hehe.
True dat, but I can't even get ONE woman. I don't think there should be guys who take more away from me.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) 15c.it was never practised? i'm not convinced.....
In the Bible, we read of people who practiced polygimy. We also read of "concubines." Concubines were not nececessarily prostitutes or whores, but WERE additional women in relationships. In each of these cases, men took more than one woman as wives to build the kingdom of God. This was the same thing that happened with some Mormon peoples in the 1800s. When an angel appeared to Joseph Smith requireing hem to do it, he refused. The angel eventually threatened him that if he did not obey the commandment from the Lord, he would be cut off from the work. It also took urging from his wife, Emma Hale-Smith, that he needed to do what the Lord asked. He eventually agreed. (You can read about this in some books about Joseph Smith.) Brigham Young also had more than one wife. So did Parley P. Pratt. So did many others, but in each case, it was only for a short time, and only to those commanded. It was NEVER commanded that everyone do it, and it has been and is still believed that marriage is "the sacred union between one man and one woman."

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"