View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #43
shunammite
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Jimi Hendrix

I skimmed through a bio of him yesterday at B&N...thinking about the pressures on rock stars...and my love for Stapp...and Creed...and the sober feelings I have now, watching them change....maybe for the better, but I can't easily believe that, how can you be better than their first three cds?

I think it's kind of like that Prometheus legend, someone has extra "vision" and flies up high to find Strength for us dimmer bulbs, lol....and we are transfixed by the beauty/strength...and cannot separate it really from the one who risked so much to bring it...

But heroes come and heroes go...the truth endures forever...

I don't give Stapp all the credit...it was a mixture of things in him that drove him to stardom, not something he was really in control of...just as now I don't think he has all that much choice...he has to respond to what is inside of him.

I think at first when the artist has not seen how UGLY the "mob" is....it's love of people that drives the great artists...but when you become a "star", the people start to act like animals...when the artist believes in the people, he can do anything, he can sacrifice himself.

But then it just gets to be too much. And I don't think the pressure is the same for the rest of the band..they may be just as important to the success of the band, but it is the lead singer that all the pressure is on..

So the artist can just go all cynical...and learn to put up a hard exterior...maybe stay alive deep inside, I don't know...or he can just sink into despair, into unreality...thinkng of Layne Staley...and drug abuse so common for so many celebs...when you rise so high you are cut off from real human fellowship, everyone "wants something".

I'm glad Stapp is alive. Creed was real. As Hendrix said, every cd is really like a personal diary of the soul of the artist...they are opening up themselves to the whole world...it's incredibly daring, you cannot hide anymore once you have done it...if you are VERY STRONG, maybe you can continue, but I think it is pretty hard...even the poets and writers of previous generations...alcoholics who died young, lots of them.

I don't know. I have loved them. I'm kind of old, but they were addressing issues that were so important to me, I got into Creed because of my children...and talking with other Creed fans at the old Creednet changed me permanently...a place where people who really did not agree came together to talk about what meant most to them...it was the FaithForum...you had to learn to "love your enemy".

I don't know what fansites ought to do for the stars they love...in the end, the star has to "save himself"...but it's kind of hard, like Jesus, yep the one they tease Stapp about for his "christ poses", when he was on the cross, "he saved others himself he cannot save", I think every artist is a bit like that.

They save us with their vision, but their vision destroys them.

But I hope to God Stapp can save himself...maybe going in a slightly different direction will bring him some kind of renewal....and I hope that all the band members will be able to stretch as much as necessary to remain respectful/appreciative of each other. Each of them has to think about their own life..and career...but...well they were brothers...