View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #54
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Hide is definitely one of my favorites... I think the major portion of this song deals with being yourself, portraying the gifts and talents you possess without fear of what critical minds might think, without worrying about what those who are "cool" might think about you. It is extremely difficult to be yourself 100% sometimes, because so often we fear what others might think. This song (I think) encourages people to "give life, give love, give soul" through their gifts, and search for a place (or possibly a mindset?) where they don't have to hide their true selves from these critical minds.

I think the lines "I've been dancing with the devil way too long / And it's making me grow old" deal somewhat with what I've said above, but I think it connects most with the song "My Own Prison." The horrible things people do (maybe to please others) wear their minds down, desensitize them, and all in all cause them to be "rusted and weathered," as another Creed song suggests. So, by "dancing with the devil," one starts to lose innocence and carelessness and lack of inhibition to be one's self, all such qualities possessed by youth, especially children. I think the narrator in this song has come to a realization of how terrible and fake the life he (or possibly a friend) has been living has been, and is now searching for a place where he can portray his own self fearlessly.

The only lines I'm not sure about in this song are "Divided is the one who dances / For the soul is so exposed." I can't figure out if by "dances" he means "dancing with the devil," and one who does so divides himself from his true desires and feelings in an effort to please others. Another thought of mine is if by "dances," he means portraying your true gifts and talents and desires, at the risk of exposing your true soul to critical minds, which can be so intimidating, it divides you as you try to come to a decision. I don't know.

Hey, anyone feel free to tell me if I make sense or not, and I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions on this or any other Creed song! Sorry this post is so long....
--Chevelle, "Don't Fake This"

"It feels so good to reunite,
Within yourself and within your mind.
Let's find peace there..."
--Creed, "My Sacrifice"