View Single Post
Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #48
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I am a pretty new Creed fan, but I love their music so much, 90% of the reason being their lyrics. Lyrics are what I look at the most in a song, and why I am a Creed fan.
I first looked at Say I to mean that God is not there in our lives, and I was a little confused because of the spirituality present in other Creed songs. But I've come to believe that, in this song, he's blaming "this misconception we call Man" for God being so (note the quotations) "out of touch" with our lives. In the background during the bridge, they sing "Frantic, focus / These things unhold us / So look inside / You'll see they lied," again pointing to the wickedness of the world as the problem.

Also, I've always connected this song with "Who's Got My Back," in that "the covenant has been broken by mankind," and as a result we are left with no shoulder to rest our head on. The only reason God has left our lives is if we've closed the door to Him.

I think of the rest of "Say I" deals with the effects of living a life without God, such as "the stillness is so lifeless / with no spirit in your soul" and "led into the desert / for your strength will surely fade." This song is saying that, if we don't hold to something (i.e. God), then, being only human clay, "we'll surely melt in the rain" (or when trials come up in our lives).

While we're on the subject of lyrics, one of my favorite Creed songs is "Inside Us All." But could someone explain the "waiting by the phone / to remind me I'm still here" part? I love the lyrics to this song, but I just cannot figure out what that means, and I hope Stapp didn't just slap it in there to rhyme... he's so much better than that!!!
--Chevelle, "Don't Fake This"

"It feels so good to reunite,
Within yourself and within your mind.
Let's find peace there..."
--Creed, "My Sacrifice"