View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently:
I lost a dear friend.

I lost a dear friend this past summer, and I would like to be able to share something that happened to me during this very diffucult time in my life. It relates to Creed.

One morning as I was sitting talking with my son, after I had awakened him, I heard a musical note lingering in the air. It was from an acoustic guitar. Just one note holding for several beats.
I turned to my son, and asked him if he had heard it, as it was very clear, and quite beautiful. He had not. There wasn't an easy explaination for it. There was a guitar sitting in the corner, but we were not near it at the time, and the sound did not seem to come from that direction. He asked me what it could be, and I told him "It would not be what, but whom". I could not think what meaning this could have, I so I put it into the back of my mind. Later that morning, I called my good friend to thank her for a card that she had sent to me, and I found out that she had been taken to the hospital. I was able to get to the hospital to see her, but she was in a drug induced coma. I stayed as long as I could in the ICU, but not being a family member, it was a very short time. She was scheduled for surgery the next day, and the family promised to let me know how she came thru. The next day passed, and I had not heard from them. The morning of the third day, I was again sitting in my son's room, again I heard the lingering guitar note. Again my son heard nothing. Later that morning I called my friend's family and I was told my friend had passed away the day before, and they had been unable to reach me. I was devastated.

In my grief I decided to play the music that I have grown to love. I played my Weathered CD. I had the music turned up, so I could concentrate on the words in the songs, and not my pain. The CD played, and it got to the last note of the last song, #11 Lullaby.
The lingering note that I had been hearing was the last note of the lullaby. I laughed and cried at the same time, and it was as though I had been given a gift. I was able to handle my grief for the loss of my friend much better after that. I even purchased a copy of the CD and gave it to my friend's son the day of her memorial service, and told him what had happened.

The day of her service, I came home and was sitting in the kitchen quietly thinking about her. I got up to get a glass of water, and thru the window I saw a whole flock of white egrets. I went outside, and you could see them flying in from every direction, joining the flock. They would lift off as a group, circling, and land in the same spot, time after time. One landed in the tree above me and I knew that this was meant as a special moment for me, to help me with my pain.

Where I live in Minnesota, you see one egret here, one egret there. I have never before seen such a beautiful sight. People might say it is egoistical for me to think this, but back in 1998 I had written a poem about myself as a young girl, referring to a song that I had danced to. The song was White Bird. The birds held great meaning for me, because in the poem, I am the white bird

There was no other name I could call myself when I entered this chat group.

Thank you.