View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #24
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Fave to Least Fave (Followed by a "must-read" essay/rant)

My Own Prison
Weathered
One Day Remains
Human Clay

My Own Prison is one of the best rock albums ever and they guys will never surpass it. Even people who didn't like most of Creed's stuff will acknowledge this was an amazing album. It should not even be up for debate. This IS their best album, and they would not be anywhere without it. Neither of their other albums alone would have garnered the attention or praise MOP received.

Weathered is one of the most heterogenous rock albums ever created, that certain people were disappointed in. Well, If you want an album to "flow" or have all the songs sound similar, don't listen to this album (listen to Human Clay LOL). This was a hell of accomplishment though (8 weeks at #1, HE-LLO!) and probably one of the best cross-genres rock albums ever. They made something for everyone to like, and many of you assholes wanted an album stricly to appeal to your EXACT, CERTAIN, PARTICULAR tastes. How selfish of you...

One Day Remains is a good, solid rock album with catchy melodies and rocking choruses. It's not quite the rock opus it wants to be, but is better than most rock albums out today, and is definately not the same song on repeat 11 times. While several songs are almost perfectly written rock/pop radio hits (OYE, Broken Wings), it is not "the savior of rock and roll music" as some have proclaimed (settle down! you know who you are!). I enjoy a good solo as much as anybody, but there are A LOT of them, maybe a few too many (possibly because Tremonti is getting them out of his system after holding them in all those years, due to a lead singer who didn't want the spotlight on anybody but him...I still love Stapp as a singer...don't get me wrong).

Human Clay was a good album. Some of the songs were a little lackluster or sounded similar to a few others, but if you could get past that or even ENJOY it, the CD is a very good listen. I'm sad to say this is my least fave album by these guys, because this album has 2 of my favorites songs, Higher and What If, but this was the unavoidable "sophmore slump." Still very good though. I must say however, I still like every Creed song (except maybe "Sister" LOL). Could someone explain to me how "Wrong Way" and "Never Die" are all that different from each other musically?

To summarize, I think all of you who hate Weathered are crazy, not seeing it for what it was. Creed really matured musically with that album and were bound to piss some people off with a song called "Bullets" and a song called "Lullaby" on opposite ends of the same album. I'm sorry if some songs were too soft or too hard, but as a musician, you are trying to appeal to the most varied audience possible, not writing the music for yourself. Human Clay is a good album that is a little repetitive. One Day Remains is an awesome rock album, but certainly not "the savior of rock and roll"... My Own Prison was amazing and still is. I love Alter Bridge and think Myles Kennedy is a better singer than Stapp ever was or ever will be. However, it is sooooo hard to separate them from Creed, since they are 3/4 Creed and Stapp just had a very unique and cool voice. I like Brian Marshall, but re-hiring him for AB was a mistake. Selling AB as half of Creed but still detaching them from Creed would have been much easier than doing the same with 3/4 of Creed. I hope AB gets to make more music and is successful, but part of me wonders about the 4th Creed that never (?) will get made. I guess things weren't meant to turn out that way...

Jon (TornDaredevil) signing out