View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
JenRN
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Well..... I just left the 20 somethings category, and my generation has been known for "Generation X" for soooo long. I do think that our generation is a whole lot different than many before and not always for the best either. As a nurse I see patients fron the age ranges of 18-100, and let me tell you patients from the ages of 18-35 are usually the worst, not all the time BUT..... they expect more quicker and NEVER thank you. The younger half of that number, the teens and young 20's seem to want everything yesterday!!!!! It is rare that you see a young person working 2 jobs to get a stereo they want or a new car. I was raised with "tough love" my parents really wanted me to know the value of $$$ soooo.... if I wanted that new bike or new outfit, guess what ? My ass was in the strawberry fields picking berries getting paid 25cents a quart until I had enough money for it! Now of course they helpoed out, BUT my mom and dad wanted me to now take things for grantid which a lot of youth do today. NOW change of pace........ There are soo many good young adults out there as well, I work a lot with the youth and if they are guided in the right way and RAISED correctly they have so much more potential and respect than other young people. I think that is why Scott's foundation WAWO is so important in that way, to help support there relationship with their parents and guardians, it makes a world of difference. FINALLY I believe the world has changed their blocked views of GEN X after 9-11!!!!!! Those firemen who ran in that building like that and saved so many lives were 90% guys my age, That I do believe is going to be the turn around for my generation and how it is viewed! Look at how many kids now view the cops and firemen as thier HERO'S!!!! Hey they sure are mine too! I believe we can change the ways people view my generation by continuing to keep up the work those firemen started on 9-11, THAT made me become a volunteer and Red Cross and other organizations, it was a life changing experience for me. Finally I view the WW2 era as the "greatest generation" because let me tell you, I love elderly people and I have learned SOOOOOO much from them, they have so much respect for each other and life in general, and they are grateful for everything they have, even the shirt on their backs! They are what this country was known by and they are dying so quickly, I love nothing better than to sit and talk to those people and learn about how "things were" it really makes you value what you have now! And FINALLY I will end by saying ....... Our generation can also be known as the greatest generation if we stick together and give our time to others and continue to give that unconditional love and spirit those people on 9-11 did, from Todd Beamer all the way to the firemen, The choice is up to us to do it!!!!!!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"