View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) "It's still acceptable to criticize atheists in a way that's not polite. People may harbor negative views about Jews, Catholics, Muslims and evangelicals, but they know they're not supposed to voice those views, so they don't. But it's still OK to say anything bad you want about atheists."

That's some of the biggest BS I've heard all week. I've been put down, snapped at, left out, chewed up and spit out all my life for being "religious".
I was always the minority in school, being a regular churchgoer and having parents who listened to christian radio stations.

Quote:
In a nutshell, atheists believe in reason alone, in those things that can be arrived at through intellect and the scientific method.

I think Francis Schaeffer's "How Should We Then Live" should be read in defiance of that statement.

Quote: Concrete evidence for God, they argue, simply doesn't exist.
Right, right. "Can God make a rock so heavy he can't lift it?" Sure. You want
a square circle or some dry moisture to go with that? It's called a paradox.

Quote: They don't cotton to leaps of faith or anything that involves a supernatural being reaching into human lives.

Hmm... and what catagory does "a code of rules that emerged naturally through an evolutionary process in which humans learned how to live together successfully" file under?

Quote: They believe you can live a happy, respectable life based on human ethics that were derived not from God handing down a tablet but from a code of rules that emerged naturally through an evolutionary process in which humans learned how to live together successfully.
Fat chance. Would that explain the violent actions of godless men, such as Hitler, Stalin, the Chinese government, the Russian government, Osama Bin Laden, and Saddam Husien. (Muslims and Christians/Jews do NOT worship the same God, if you read the Christian/Hebrew scriptures and the Muslim scriptures, you can tell the persona of God is quite different, even the stories are, while simailer, different)

I admit, yes there has also been done much evil in the name of Christ, too, but it is unfair to paint their sins on Christians who actually follow the Bible.