View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
stillwater
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to stillwater Send a message via AIM to stillwater
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) true true... I'm thinking of the Alt-metal and post-grunge bands that all pretty much sound the same. i think now we're getting to the point where people are getting fed up w/ hearing all the same stuff, as are musicians, who are trying new things (a la AB).

Jackson 5 perhaps? maybe after them...

My history isn't all that -- were Jackson 5 before or after the Monkees? I would venture the Monkees were the first boy band, but since I am a fan of the Monkees I would hesitiate to wipe them out. After all, if they didn't do boyband surely someone else would have, and less well?

And as for the alt-metal/post-grunge you mention, your point is more than taken. Nickelback, Staind, Creed (imho) -- all generic grunge, without the passion. It's bands like AB that are putting the originality back into what bands like Alice in Chains and Screaming Trees started. But what do we do to stop this trend? Stop grunge before it begins? And then what? Stop prog and corporate-rock so there is nothing for them to fight against?

I'm still shining my laser gun until I can work this all out... and here I thought all I needed to do was assassinate John Lennon before he got shit.
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

- Epicurus