View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
Siren
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
http://www.suntimes.com/output/zwecker/cst...t-ftr-zp01.html

Quote:

Creed may be one of the most popular bands on the planet, but the rockers--particularly lead singer Scott Stapp--really infuriated a ton of fans at Sunday's Allstate Arena concert--generating a bunch of calls and e-mails both to this column and my Sun-Times colleague, pop music critic Jim DeRogatis.

''You won't believe what went down,'' e-mailed Dan. ''Saw Creed. What a letdown! Scott Stapp [has] ... less stage presence than Ozzy [Osbourne], [he] sang flat, ran off stage three times, twice for at least five minutes, missed words, had audience singing instead. ... I had front-row seats in section 116--saw the whole franchise fall apart before my very eyes.''

Then there was this from Lore Rizzo, who bought tickets for her daughter's 18th birthday. She also reports her daughter thought Stapp was, well, possibly under the influence of something. ''At one point [he] even laid down on the stage.''

Several observers mentioned that Stapp's appearance was particularly disturbing given his frequent comments about the evils of drug and alcohol use and his strong religious roots.

''I think this was one of the worst concerts I've ever attended,'' e-mails Tom Wassman from Elgin. ''I've been a huge Creed fan for a long time, but Stapp really stunk. He sat DOWN for a big part of the concert!''

Kevin DeSanti couldn't have agreed more. ''Clearly one of the worst shows I've ever attended. ... It was more than an embarrassment, it was robbery of the fans' hard-earned money. You know you're in trouble when the audience is booing the headliner.''

At press time, a spokesman for the band was unable to comment on the concert or the complaints.

Creed has canceled several shows in recent months, including a high-profile televised gig from San Francisco's Alcatraz Island, with Stapp claiming acute laryngitis. The group had only two shows remaining before the end of the year--the Chicago gig (which had been postponed from earlier in the year) and an appearance Tuesday night in Las Vegas as part of the 2002 Billboard Music Awards.

"I'm just kind of making it through right now the best that I can,'' the singer told the online music news service Launch.com on Dec. 14. "The healing process starts when I stop singing. So, it's good enough to live up to my standard at a live show, and if it's not I'll come back and play it again.''